The best places to watch the election in Chapel Hill

‘There’s no shame in staying in the safety of your bedroom where no one will see you ugly cry.’

With the anxiety-inducing presidential election tomorrow, Tar Heels will need a place to sit back, relax and watch the country potentially combust. The most frightening day of 2016 has come and you should be in the right environment to prepare for every possible outcome.

In order to keep your cool, you may want to surround yourself with family or friends who can provide immediate comfort if your candidate doesn’t win. Hosting or attending an election watch party is a great way to be around friends–just make sure that you don’t have any animosity towards your friend’s political views!

A casual and homey place to go for food and drink is Linda’s Bar & Grill. It’s located on Franklin Street right next to McAllister’s and serves comfort food–which, trust me, we’ll all be craving–and alcohol. Nugs, tots and beer, what more could you need?

Loaded french fries served at Linda’s with a side of ranch. Photo: Linda’s Bar and Grill / Facebook.

TOPO is a classier bar and restaurant, so if getting a bit buzzed is a priority for you tomorrow, then this is probably your best bet. If you’re looking to get plastered, Imbibe and other Chapel Hill bars are a good option–but make sure you have your valid ID before you arrive.

If you’re feeling hungry, Sup Dogs will supply you with true American food on this patriotic day (i.e. hamburgers and hotdogs). They have a bar for customers 21 and older, and their main seating area caters to those who are younger than 21.

Liz and Hannah pose for a picture before the Duke vs. UNC game outside of Sup Dogs. Photo: Elizabeth Chen / The Tab.

Your residence hall will probably be airing the election in the common area, so make sure to reach out to your RA for details on watching in your dorm. And if you’re an emotional person, there’s no shame in staying in the safety of your bedroom where no one will see you ugly cry.

Everett Residence Hall at UNC. Photo: UNC Housing / Facebook.

Remember, prepare for the worst, but hope for the best. Everything is going to be okay, and if it’s not — I’m sure Canada can squeeze a few more Americans within its borders.

UNC