Things UNC could spend its money on instead of updating the Union

Greenlaw needs some love

It’s safe to say that we all probably love the FPG Student Union. Even if we don’t go in there often, we know it’s there. Located across from the pit, it’s pretty hard to miss. With free movies, free condoms, and nice places to nap (check out the Class of 2000 lounge), the Union serves as the hub of our campus. While the idea of updating the Union is nice, it’s pretty solid the way it is now. Seriously, all the money that’s probably being used to fund this update could probably be used elsewhere.

Fixing Davis Library’s bathrooms

If you haven’t had to complete the walk of shame from Davis to the UL at 2am, lucky you. If you have, then you were more than likely working in Davis for multiple hours and eventually had to use the bathroom. And let’s be real, the upper floor bathrooms are scarier than Michael Myers on Halloween. You never really know what you’re gonna find in the bathrooms so each time you go, you hope for the best. But usually, you find yourself in a second floor stall when you started on the sixth floor. UNC could score some major points by fixing these bad boys up.

Then again, maybe we all just need a lesson in how to keep public bathrooms clean for others.

Offering free pads in the Union

As much as I appreciate UNC encouraging safe sex by offering free condoms in Union bathrooms, it’d be lit if we could get some free pads and tampons in there, too. While sex is a choice, getting a menstrual cycle is not. The Union would be a great place to offer sanitary items as it’s in the center of campus and if you ever forget to throw some in your bag, you’re more likely to be closer to the Union than your room.

Buying nicer dorm shower curtains

While this might be nit-picky and not of use to students that live off-campus, having shower curtains that fully close would be nice. Not asking for anything fancy, I’d just rather not have to worry about all of my hall mates seeing my ass.

Updating Greenlaw

Because English majors deserve more respect. Shout-out to all my Shakespeare and Austen lovers. Y’all are important, too. You deserve classrooms that aren’t dingy.

Honestly, the Union is great the way it is. It’s a valuable part of the Carolina experience that doesn’t need to change. As some southern folk would say– if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

UNC