Meet the Mr. and Miss UNC 2016 candidates

Don’t forget to vote by 5pm today

Every year we witness the campaigns of the senior Mr. and Miss UNC candidates, whether it be by signs in the pit or through Facebook posts. This can get confusing, as there is no way to compare all the choices side by side. Well, good news: The Tab is here to help. We’ve put together a comprehensive list of the candidates and their platforms in order to make the decision just a bit easier. If you haven’t already, today is your last chance to vote. The election ends at 5pm today.

Alex Koszeghy

Major: Psychology

Minor: Biology

Hometown: Tampa, FL

Where will you find her? Painted blue at football games or being a second year RA in the upper quad community

Superpower she would like to have: Ability to make others enjoy awkwardness as much as she does – “If I could just shoot out awkwardness like Spider-Man shoots out webs…just walk by the pit shooting awkwardness vibes at people. But good awkwardness, you know?”

Decision to run: “I want to leave the school different than when I came.”

Platform: A photo wall in the union, an open mic night and a support group like Alcoholics Anonymous so people don’t feel alone in their struggle.

“I want to destigmatize mental illness and offer support to those struggling.”

Laura Brache

Major: Broadcast/Electronic Journalism

Minor: Hispanic Studies and Italian

Hometown: Boston, MA; Currently Clemmons, NC

Where will you find her? Involved with her sorority Zeta Tau Alpha or helping out with multiple news shows run by the J-school

Superpower she would like to have: Mind-reading – “To know how to interact and work the person. That way I’m mindful of if they’re having a bad day, don’t feel like talking, need a hug, or anything like that.”

Decision to Run: “To create a project that hits home and that could be kind of a grand finale to all the service and leadership roles I’ve had at UNC.”

Platform:  To fund the diversity scholarships for NCSMA high school students in CHCCS to attend NCSMA’s summer institute and to work with them one-on-one at school in their media endeavors with the Carolina Association of Black Journalists and the Latina/o Journalism and Media incentive.

“I’m a big believer of the importance of having someone to look up to academically or professionally when you’re in high school, and I’d like to be someone like that to these students who just like me come from a background that isn’t really represented that much in the field.”

Megan DeJohn

Major: English and Elementary Education

Hometown: Charlotte, NC

Where will you find her? Working at the UNC Writing Center or being the Campus Ambassador for Teach for America

Superpower she would like to have: Omnilingualism (The ability to understand and communicate in any language in the world) – “I would want to travel and adventure all over the world and learn from the amazing people I meet along the way—and as an added bonus I would never have to take another quiz on conjugating verbs again.”

Decision to Run: “Education is often placed in this box of spelling, grammar, and multiplication tables, and though it is all these things, it is—and needs to be—so much more.”

PlatformEducation Collaboration

“The goal is to unite the community resources of Chapel Hill into a cohesive vehicle of growth and distribute these in a database to the community at-large.”

Katherine Brinkley

Major: Psychology and Hispanic Linguistics (Hopes to go to medical school!)

Hometown: Winston Salem, NC

Where will you find her? Volunteering at the hospital with her club CPALS (Carolina Pediatric Attention, Love, and Support) and becoming “pals” (yes, they call them that) with patients

Superpower she would like to have: Endless supply of energy – “How cool would it be to never need to sleep? I’d get so much accomplished!”

Decision to Run: “I want to give back to the kids who have given so much to me. My goal is to raise awareness for childhood cancer.”

Platform: Raising money for UNC Pediatric Hematology-Oncology Clinic through a service project (maybe a 5k)

“This money will go to help the children in the clinic by funding pediatric cancer research at UNC, and getting us closer to finding a cure!”

Seth Bumgarner

Major: History and Peace, War, and Defense

Minor: Public Relations

Hometown: Wilkesboro, NC

Where will you find him? Working with UNC Admission Ambassadors, Academic Advising Peers, and his fraternity Zeta Beta Tau

Superpower he would like to have: “It would be that I can always make a dad joke or a pun, even in the most serious scenarios.”

Decision to Run: “I want to open up the conversation on campus to make self-care more common and accepted.”

Platform: “Our Care-olina”: a seminar in the Spring about self-care and wellness and a “My Self-Care Card” that will be available so students and staff can make pledges to practice self-care

“Self-care is for anyone, regardless of situation or experience, to help them maintain personal wellness in their own way.”

Dani Nicholson

Major: Exercise and Sport Science (Hopes to become a dentist!)

Minor: Neuroscience

Hometown: Ocala, FL

Where will you find her? Singing with her a cappella group Harmonyx, serving as an admissions ambassador or being a part of the Delta Delta Sigma Dental Honor Society and co-Ambassador of the ASDA Pre-Dental chapter at UNC

Superpower she would like to have: Ability to freeze time – “With senior year already seeming to fly by, I’d love to have the opportunity to just “soak it in” a little bit more.”

Decision to Run: “Growing up as a biracial child, adopted by a Caucasian family, I struggled to gain a sense of understanding as far as my identity went. With college being one of the largest transition points in a young person’s life, it is important to create a network of allies in order to communicate, listen and support each other through challenging experiences faced during this time.”

Platform: “Discover You(NC)”: a project that creates a network of allies in order to promote self worth, self acceptance and self love to EVERYONE!

“I want to serve to bridge the gap between the intersections of marginalized groups here on campus while instilling safe spaces for voices to speak, be heard and be discovered.”

Logan Gin

Major: Biology and Political Science double major

Hometown: Columbus, OH

Where will you find him? “I can be zooming to science classes on my scooter, catching up with friends in the pit, sleeping on the Connor couch, and celebrating the Heels’ win at He’s Not.”

Superpower he would like to have: Super speed — “I’m always a minute late to everything”

Decision to Run: “To bring awareness to the experiences of students with disabilities at Carolina. I wish to change the way we think about issues of accessibility and inclusion at UNC.”

Platform: “We ALL Can Play”: It seeks to bring adaptive sports to Carolina.

“The goal of the project is to establish an adaptive intramural sports program within Campus Recreation to provide options like wheelchair basketball.”

Hailey Orgass

Major: Biology

Minor: Medical Anthropology

Hometown: Wantagh, NY (I love Long Island, but I have to say the beaches here do compare)

Where will you find her? “Either on my way to microbiology or ballet class (I know, two extremes of the spectrum)… I work as a research assistant at the UNC Neurosciences hospital in the afternoons. I always try to spare some time to hang with friends, go to hot yoga, or go to the library.”

Superpower she would like to have: Teleportation, or a healing superpower — “I want to go to so many places I’ve never been before, and also it would be useful when I’m missing my family. Either that or something that gives me the ability to make someone feel better no matter what is bothering them.”

Decision to Run: “I think my perseverance shows through my want to run again for a similar position that I won in high school. It doesn’t hurt that I loved it either! And as a senior, I feel like time is running out here at Carolina and I didn’t leave my mark that I’ve wanted to leave since stepping on this campus.”

Platform: “Heel to Heal: a school-wide initiative to raise awareness of the correlation between physical activity and mental health. This project will entail a monthly work-out session held in Kenan Stadium under the lights. 100 percent of the proceeds of this project will be given to alternating clubs that advocate healthy minds, and organizations within the Chapel Hill community.”

“I want to show students that exercise is not only crucial for our physical wellbeing, but also for our mental well-being.”

Osarumwense Onaiwu

Major: Biology

Minor: Spanish for the Medical Professions

Hometown: Newark, NJ; currently Columbus, OH

Where will you find him? “Strutting across the Pit, in the APPLES office in the Union, or in Coker Hall for class.”

Superpower he would like to have: Lightning — “All superpowers are pretty amazing, but I have always been interested in the power of lightning. You have the best abilities with it – speed, ability to fly in the clouds, and being an unlimited battery source (no more dead phones)!”

Decision to Run: “Running for Mr. UNC has been a dream of mine, and through this position I seek to share the effects of public service.  Throughout my time in Carolina, I have been fortunate to have gained a plurality of experiences both at home and abroad. However, in the realm of public service, I repeatedly witness the great value in mutually beneficial partnerships between servers and the larger community.”

Platform: “My service project, “Building Bonds through Service” would establish a monthly service event with the police department and the Chapel Hill community in order to build trust and positive relationships between the two groups.”

“In light of recent news and political tension, I believe that by building bonds through service we are able to humanize and work together towards something far greater — the progress of the Chapel Hill community.”

UNC