A response to ‘Why NC State is better than UNC’ from a former State fan

Get over yourselves

The Tab over at NC State recently posted an article claiming their school is “categorically better than UNC in every way.” Unfortunately, this could not be further from the truth. And as a previous State fan, I can actually attest to this.

Let’s break the article down. I’ll respond to each point they included.

‘Red is a popular color’

Rocking a very beautiful shade of blue at a football game

Red is actually not a popular color. Blue is the most popular color of personal preference, webpage and crayon. Don’t believe it? Just google “is red a popular color?” It’s easy.

‘We have a Bojangles’ and Cook Out’

We have Benny Capella’s, Sup Dogs and Time Out to eat after a night out. We also have Spicy Nine, Spanky’s, Top of the Hill, Sunrise Biscuits and Breadman’s. Need I go on? Just visit Franklin Street.

‘We’re located in the capital city’

Dude. We are a college town. Everyone in this beautiful city has so much love for this campus. Not only that, but fun fact, we offer everything you could want out of a city. We have multiple hipster coffee shops. We have a shopping mall 15 minutes away. We have our own art museum. We have music festivals within walking distance. And on weekends when you want to walk around our campus, you don’t have to walk across an entire city.

‘Our athletes are studious’

Just the best day of my life

You did not just go there. Have you ever HEARD of Marcus Paige? If you haven’t, here’s some information for you: He was the 2015 winner of the Skip Prosser Award as the ACC’s top scholar-athlete. He isn’t the only example of smart athletes at UNC – many of our athletes are on the Dean’s List. Do you know hard it is to balance school, especially school at Carolina, and a sport? Trust me, our athletes are rock stars.

‘We have a wider range of classes’

A typical diverse range of classes

This is also so wrong. We have one of the best journalism schools and one of the best business schools in the nation. On top of that, we have some of the best medical programs in the country. All of our liberal arts programs are strong and we have superb programs in the arts. We clearly have a wide range of classes. Our education at UNC is extremely balanced to make us well-rounded individuals – that’s why we’re “forced” to take classes on different topics. The best part of Carolina is that even random topics are always related to our careers because our professors make sure to keep them relevant. That’s how much they care about our education.

I was dying to apply to State my senior year of high school. I went to an admissions board panel, eager and excited about my future. When I mentioned to the admissions director I was thinking about entering the healthcare field he said to me, “Why would you apply to State? We don’t really have anything geared for you in that field.”

‘The state fair is in our backyard’

Lol. Okay. Good for you. So what exactly does this have to do with your school?

‘We’re blessed with Howling Cow’

We have YOPO, the best frozen yogurt in the State. All homemade, all catered to UNC students. Enough said.

What else do we Tar Heels have that State doesn’t?

Through Dance Marathon, CFTK raised over half a million dollars this past year alone for the patients and families of UNC Children.

We were the first public university in the nation. We also have the largest student run non-profit in the state, Carolina for the Kids. We have countless clubs and opportunities for all our students no matter what they are interested in. We have a nationwide fan following. We have one of the most beautiful campuses in the country.

So what is a Tar Heel?

A Tar Heel is a well-rounded, well-educated, diverse individual who shows immense passion and drive for their respective interests. A Tar Heel is proud. A Tar Heel is adored all around the world. A Tar Heel’s biggest rival is eight miles down the road. A Tar Heel is a student, an alumni, a fan.

I am a Tar Heel, and every single day I’ve been on this campus has changed me in ways you couldn’t even being to imagine.

By no means am I saying UNC is perfect. It has broken attributes, but these broken pieces have ignited a fire of change throughout this campus and in myself. Carolina has opened my eyes to the social injustices of the world. It has given me an outlet to grow as a writer, a volunteer and as a student. It has given me the passion to follow my dreams. It has showed me that kindness and vulnerability will take you a long way.

At the end of the day, you can talk all you want about how you think State is “categorically better” than UNC. But be prepared for us Tar Heels to stand up for the university we cherish and love.

As Charles Kuralt said in 1993, “What is it that binds us to this place as to no other? It is not the well or the bell or the stone walls. Or the crisp October nights or the memory of dogwoods blooming. Our loyalty is not only to William Richardson Davie, though we are proud of what he did 200 years ago today. Nor even to Dean Smith, though we are proud of what he did last March. No, our love for this place is based on the fact that it is, as it was meant to be, the University of the people.”

And that’s what it means to be a Tar Heel.

UNC