We tried the best chicken biscuits near Chapel Hill

Winner, winner, chicken… breakfast

For those of you who wake up in time for breakfast, you understand the importance of a good meal. Nobody wants a soggy bowl of cereal or a burnt piece of toast for breakfast. What you really want is a warm chicken biscuit. But then you face the real question — where do you go?

Fear not, because I have scoured the area (let’s say a 10 mile radius from campus) for the best chicken biscuit around.  Each one is unique with different combinations and experiences.  The only way to find out which is the best is to try them all, so I grabbed some biscuit buddies and hit the road.

I visited five locations and at each one I ordered their original chicken biscuit, some with cheddar, some without.  After considering biscuit texture and the chicken factor, I rated each one on a scale of five chicken wings.

It’s a hard job, but someone’s got to do it.

Bojangles

Believe it or not, I’ve actually only been to a Bojangles twice (*audible gasps*), so this was truly a first taste-test for me.

Price: $2.99

First Taste: basically a salty chicken tender on a good biscuit

Biscuit Texture: thin and flaky

Chicken Factor: crispy and thin

Overall: 3 chicken wings

Time Out 

While I have been to Time Out many-a-times, a revisit was necessary for proper procedure, right?

Price: $5.49

First Taste: buttery goodness

Biscuit Texture: thick and crumbly

Chicken Factor: chunky (might find a bone, but just shake it off)

Overall: 4.5 chicken wings

Rise

Did you know you could get pimento cheese on a chicken biscuit? Excuse me while my world is being rocked.

Price: $4.95

First Taste: oniony in the best way

Biscuit Texture: crunchy outside, soft inside

Chicken Factor: crispy breading, large patty size

Overall: 4 chicken wings

Chick-fil-a

Chick-fil-a deserves major bonus points for giving me TWO chicken biscuits when I only paid for one. That’s how you know it’s going to be a good day.

Also, cannot forget the Chick-fil-a sauce, which completes the meal.  I mean, I would eat a sock if you dunked it in Chick-fil-a sauce first.

Price: $2.25

First Taste: salty and sweet like the Chick-fil-a we all know and love

Biscuit Texture: buttery and crumbly

Chicken Factor: obviously fantastic

Overall: 3.5 chicken wings

Sunrise 

HOW HAVE I NEVER BEEN HERE BEFORE?! Seriously, what have I been doing with my life.

Price: $5.24 (with cheddar cheese), $4.49 (without)

First Taste: melt-in-your-mouth-good

Biscuit Texture: soft

Chicken Factor: heavily fried

Overall: 5 chicken wings

Winner, winner, chicken…breakfast. Sunrise takes the cake, or really the biscuit, on this one!

Everyone has their opinion and certain allegiance to a chicken biscuit, but considering all the factors together, Sunrise gets all five chicken wings. It’s a good thing they’re so close…some might say dangerously close.

UNC