Former UNC student Chandler Kania pleads guilty to multiple charges in I-85 crash

He has taken a partial plea deal

Former UNC student Chandler Kania pleaded guilty to multiple charges in court on Monday in connection with a fatal crash in July 2015. Kania is taking a partial plea deal and will challenge his second-degree murder charges.

According to The News & Observer, the 21-year-old pleaded guilty to three counts of felony death by motor vehicle, one felony charge of causing serious injury, one felony of driving while impaired and to having an open container of alcohol in the vehicle.

Additionally, Kania also pleaded guilty to consuming alcohol under the age of 21 years old, driving after consuming alcohol, multiple accounts of using a fake driver’s license and driving the wrong way on a highway, Interstate 85.

If convicted, Kania could face a maximum of 59 years and six months in prison. A jury will determine the validity of Kania’s not-guilty plea on charges of reckless driving and second-degree murder.

The crash occurred on July 19, 2015, when Kania drove the wrong way down I-85/I-40 and hit another car head-on, killing three of the passengers. Investigators reported Kania consumed alcohol and used drugs before the crash. He then gave officers someone else’s ID at the scene of the accident.

Kania has been under house arrest after his family posted $1 million bond.

UNC