An honest packing list for freshman year at UNC

Here’s what they (probably) won’t tell you at Orientation

It’s almost time, folks. Almost time to pack your bags and move into a tiny, hot room at the most perfect school in the world. Yup, you’re about to start your freshman year at UNC, and the real question is: are you ready?

If you’re anything like me, you have an expertly organized, color-coordinated stack of items sitting in a corner of a room waiting patiently for move-in. But chances are, you haven’t planned for everything college life will throw at you.

So here I am, your good old upperclassman friend, to give you the ultimate packing list that Bed, Bath & Beyond won’t tell you.

Tums for after you inevitably scarf down 50 pounds of pancakes at Rams Late Night

A bottle of Lysol for when your suitemates “forget” to clean up the food they left all over their floor (yes, this is a subtweet of sorts)

Earplugs for when those suitemates also start to scream all night for no apparent reason (also a subtweet, thank you very much)

Multiple sets of sheets for your sweaty body when you take naps every day in between classes

Also a mattress pad for when you vomit your guts up all over said sheets

Thin shirts for those days when back sweat is real and thick shirts for when the frostbite is real

To counter that, oversized t-shirts to pair with your Norts 6/7 days of the week

A crazy amount of patience for the days when the U bus fills up and you have to walk home in the rain

A constant supply of Gatorade in your dorm so you don’t have to go to the Pit Stop/Ram’s every time you’re hungover

Plenty of space on your phone to take touristy pictures every semester

Enough money to actually buy every Carolina item in the Student Stores (please don’t blow all your money on clothing like I did because food costs money, too)

SCHOOL SPIRIT because duh, hark the sound and all

And finally, your soul if you take Econ 101

Also, don’t forget a toothbrush and all that. But in all seriousness, just borrow everything from your roommate and I’m sure you won’t run into any trouble. This is your friendly upperclassman, signing off.

UNC