UNC admits 2,224 new Tar Heels to the Class of 2020

The Carolina family just got a little bigger

While we waited for our men’s basketball team to play in the Final Four tournament, UNC Admissions was busy adding 2,224 new Tar Heels to our family.

On March 30, Carolina released decisions for deferred early-action and regular decision candidates, deciding on 18,071 applicants and offering admission to 2,224. UNC expects the class of 2020 to have a total of 4,025 students in Fall 2016.

The number of applicants to UNC has risen by 12 percent over the past year, with students hailing from 99 counties here in North Carolina, 48 states and the District of Columbia and 56 other countries. Thirteen percent of new students are first-generation college students.

Carolina will be hosting Explore Carolina, a daylong event for all admitted students on April 11 and again on April 22. It will also include additional events for special populations, such as Carolina Firsts for first-generation college students.

The first student to enroll, just 10 minutes after decisions were released, was Ann Marie Ingram of Statesville, N.C.

Ann Marie said: “Choosing a college to attend is such a daunting task, and the best advice I received when trying to decide was from my uncle. He told me that it is crucial that I choose a college that will not limit me and that I needed to pick a school where I could grow and learn as a student and as a person.

“Ultimately, I found that the opportunities at UNC-Chapel Hill were unmatched, so the decision to enroll as soon as I received notification of my acceptance was made with confidence and excitement.”

Stephen Farmer, Vice Provost for Enrollment and Undergraduate Admissions, said: “As we look forward to welcoming our admitted students to the incredible opportunities at Carolina, we want to continue to support the thousands of students we’ve disappointed. We want to remind them that we believe in them too, and we are here to help them whether they find their home at another college or university or make their way to Carolina as a transfer or graduate student in the future.”

Congratulations, and welcome to the University of North Carolina, baby Tar Heels!

UNC