To the Carolina Basketball team: Thank you for staying

‘The Carolina Way’ is alive and well because of you

“This may be my favorite team of all time.”

That’s what Roy Williams said about the Tar Heels on Senior Night after Brice Johnson, Marcus Paige and Joel James played their final game in the Dean Dome.

This team is just special. I’ve been saying it since they got here. I know there have been many great Carolina players before them, because I love them, too. I also know there are great players still to come, because it’s Carolina basketball and that’s just what happens here.

But, Roy, as usual, I have to agree with you. This may be my favorite team of all time too, which is why I want to say thank you to them.

First, I want to say thank you for giving me moments I will carry with me forever. Carolina students only get four years to acquire these while in Chapel Hill. We only get to have one team we can say we were here with. You are our era of Carolina Basketball.

I remember running around my dorm room with my suitemates the first time we saw a Brice Johnson post-dunk celebration. I remember the week after we walked two miles in the snow for a Duke no-show when we rushed from the Dean Dome to Franklin Street for the first time.

I remember every Marcus Paige buzzer-beater. I remember beating #1 ranked Michigan State and running to greet the players in an elf costume. I remember when Roy ran four-corners to honor Dean Smith. I remember hugging my best friends in the risers after every big-time play.

I remember it all, and I could go on and on. I can’t thank you enough for giving me those memories as a Tar Heel.

Second, I want to say thank you for believing in yourselves. Last year after the loss to Duke on senior night, I said: “It hurts because they deserved so badly to win.” Thank you for knowing that too, and working so hard this year to make your dreams real.

People say the highs are never as high as the lows are low, but I disagree in this case. Watching this team, especially the past few games, and seeing how much they’ve grown and come together has been completely worth the ride.

You’ve answered all the doubters’ questions, and no matter what happens in the NCAA, now you can know you’ve left your mark not only in our hearts, but also in the rafters of the Dean Dome.

Lastly, I just want to say thank you for staying.

You came into Chapel Hill during a tough time, and we all needed something to give us hope. You could’ve transferred. You could’ve gotten out as soon as possible or left before senior year. But instead, you stayed, and “The Carolina way” is alive and well because of it.

You gave us something to cheer for and be excited about in a time when negativity surrounded the place we love. Through the ups and downs, you stayed, and that makes the recent victories that much sweeter.

This all goes to you too, Roy. Thank you for staying. You have faced so much criticism over the past few years, but I want you to know your loyal fans have been here through it all and we have never lost faith. There is no one else we would have wanted to take Dean Smith’s place and there is no one else we want coaching the Tar Heels now.

It takes quite a coach to have an entire Dean Dome filled with crying players and fans on Senior Night. Thank you for believing in this team and helping them become great basketball players and even greater people.

I hope you guys know how much you mean to Tar Heel Nation. You gave us a dream to believe in and a team to love. Thank you to the seniors, thank you to Roy and thank you to Carolina Basketball.

Now, let’s go dance our way through the tournament.

UNC