Please stop wearing your heeled boots in the library

click click click click click click

As midterms progress and we’re all spending an increasing amount of time in the library, I think we’re all starting to go a little stir crazy. Some of this craziness comes from excess caffeine, stress, difficult classes and lack of sleep. But it also stems from each of our library pet peeves.

I know you know exactly what I’m talking about. Each of us has our own annoyances when we’re trying to study. There are a few that are more common than others, like phones left on loud or vibrate, people who incessantly click their pens (even though this is kind of me), those who use the library to gossip and people who chew loudly or eat smelly food at the tables. But perhaps my biggest pet peeve is hearing heeled boots constantly clicking throughout the floor.

There’s nothing worse than getting into the groove of studying, finally having tuned out the noises of students around you, and then hearing someone enter the library wearing boots that click and clack so loud you can hear it echo through all of campus.

First off, why wear your heeled boots to the library? I know at least 90% of the time I’m in the library, I’m wearing Converse or another form of sneaker, or maybe a pair of flip-flops or Chacos. There have even been times when I’ve gone to the library wearing the same thing I wore to bed the night before and intend to wear to bed again that night.

You know what boots I’m talking about – the ones that have some sort of heel that makes the annoying clicking noise. So why on earth would anyone wear heels to the library? I understand the “dress for success” motto that some people swear by, but at the library? Really?

If you’re wearing the clicking boots, pick a table and sit down. Don’t keep making laps around the fifth floor in search of an empty table. The few times I’ve worn heeled boots that make noise when I’m in the library, I’m instantly aware of it and try to walk quietly. I’ve sought out patches of carpet or walked on my tiptoes.

Of course, maybe everyone isn’t as aware as I am, but you have to know how loud your stupid clicking boots are. Moral of the story? Sure, maybe I’m going a little crazy during midterms, but you’re only helping that by click clacking your way through Davis.

UNC national-us