I watched frat brothers punch each other for charity at UT Boxing Weekend

One of the fights was resolved by sharing a bag of Skittles

Aside from the five and a half hour drive from UNC, last weekend was pretty fun – I went to Boxing Weekend at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville. And it was certainly an interesting experience. The venue itself was the massive Knoxville Expo Center – think three times the size of Cat’s Cradle.

UT Boxing Weekend is an annual tradition where fraternities elect several brothers to wear their letters and essentially beat the shit out of brothers from other fraternities. Over 4,000 people attended the event.

Imagine 4,000 somewhat intoxicated people shouting profanities at each other and bonding over university Greek life. To some, it sounds like a nightmare. But to Greek students at UT, Boxing Weekend is the most exciting part of the school year.

The social scene at UT Knoxville was incredibly different from UNC. The dynamic between students was honestly a lot less classy. There were multiple pointless fights between students, one of which was resolved by sharing a bag of skittles.

Freshman Phi Sigma Kappa, Joseph Bone, won the championship on Saturday night for his weight class. He was even nice enough to pose for a picture after his win.

One UT freshman said it wasn’t the actual boxing event that was memorable, it was the after parties held by fraternities. While fraternity parties at UNC are typically held in fraternity houses, the fraternities at UT split the costs of renting bars or clubs to host parties for the night.

One girl said: “I had my ass grabbed both nights I went to an after party by strangers.”

All in all, if you’re looking for a few nights spent with thousands of college students, then Boxing Weekend is definitely for you. Just be warned, ladies – you could end up getting your ass grabbed in the bar afterwards.

UNC