Junior the husky and Hamilton the hedgehog are this week’s big pets on campus

Maybe you’ll see Hamilton the hedgehog at He’s Not Pint Night

Meet this week’s big pets on campus: Junior the Siberian Husky and a hedgehog named Hamilton.

Owners Bobby and Berkley discuss the good, the bad and the ugly sides of caring for their pets while they’re at UNC, giving some useful insight for those of you considering purchasing critters of your own.

Bobby, senior, Economics, and “Junior”

This is Junior, a 9-month-old Siberian Husky Bobby shares with his roommate.

Favorite memory?

When I came back from class and I saw him playing with his toy on the ping pong table.

Strange unusual behavior?

Whatever he’s drinking water out of, he puts his front two paws in it and sometimes dumps his head into it.

Challenges?

Well, he pees every 15 minutes, but it was more than expected. Other than that, no. He’s great.

Best place to take your pet near Chapel Hill? 

I take him to Jordan Lake to swim and run around.

Amount spent per month?

Depends on if shots are that month or if he was getting neutered, but a regular month is around $100-$150.

Advice for students considering a Siberian Husky?

You should realize Siberian Huskies howl a lot, so you might not want to crate train him until after the first couple of weeks with him. They are easier when they know you better.

Berkley, junior, Exercise and Sports Science, and “Hamilton”

This is Berkley’s 7-month-old hedgehog, Hamilton.

Favorite memory?

The first time I gave him a bath, he freaked out and climbed into my sweatshirt sleeve. I like to think of it as the first time we bonded, even though he was probably miserable. Now, whenever I wear sweatshirts, he tries to either crawl inside the sleeves or climb into my lap and sleep in the pocket. I also got him a hamburger costume so he could be “Hammy-burger” for Halloween, but he refuses to wear it.

Strange/unusual behavior?

He basically turns into a sea urchin whenever he gets scared.

Challenges?

They have to be in warmer temperatures, which I didn’t think would be a big deal until I brought him home and realized how cold my house actually is. Now I just keep two little heating lamps next to his cage and it works perfectly. He also hates having his nails trimmed, so I have to bring him to the vet to get it done every 2-3 months.

I haven’t really taken him anywhere in Chapel Hill, but my goal is to take him to He’s Not for Pint Night at some point this year.

Amount spent per month?

Not much, unless he has to go to the vet. It was a lot at first because of the cage, wheel, heating lamps, etc. Now I really only have to buy bedding about once a month and cat food every 2-3 months.

Advice for students considering hedgehogs? 

It’s more work than something like a hamster or a guinea pig, but definitely a good transition for a bigger commitment like a dog. I have to give him baths and clip his nails, but hedgehogs are nocturnal, so you mainly just have to make sure they have food and water at night. They also don’t make a lot of noise.

UNC