We set some resolutions for UNC

‘My all-girl Spanish class was fun, but I like going on dates, too’

It’s 2016 and most of us have uttered the phrase, “new year, new me.” Are you thinking the same, UNC?

We hope so, because we’ve been thinking a lot about some changes we’d like to make. We have some ideas for your own resolutions, UNC.

Let’s begin with parking. It’s a disaster. We have to pay $400 to park 15 minutes away from class? And move our cars on game days? Not really helpful, Carolina. So maybe 2016 can be your year to lower the price and build some new parking lots.

For a university that “prides itself on a strong, diverse student body,” the demographics tell a different story. Sixty-three percent white and a 6:4 female to male ratio? We could seriously use some color and some more testosterone. My all-girl Spanish class was fun, but I like going on dates, too.

This next one is big. Flipped classroom? That’s bullsh*t (my New Year’s resolution was to stop cursing).

We are paying thousands of dollars for professors who will teach us – not ask us to teach ourselves and then babysit us in class while we do practice problems. So we would love it if 2016 were the year you admitted flipped classrooms are a flop.

I’ve read it six times and still don’t get it

While we’re on the topic of teaching styles, I have to say I’ve had some lousy adjunct professors. The tenured professors are typically outstanding so, thank you, UNC, for listening to our teacher evaluations and emailing us with relentless determination until we’ve all completed them. But maybe the new guys could be given a crash course in teaching before they’re thrown into a classroom this year.

This shouldn’t happen in a college-level class

We all love you, UNC. We want you to be your best self. So let’s kick off this year with some much-needed improvements and make 2016 our best year to date.

UNC