We asked seniors about their last FWOC

For them, it’s more than just syllabus week

For many students, the first day of class meant many more semesters of frigid mornings and long lines in Lenoir. But for students in their last year at UNC, FDOC and FWOC had a slightly different meaning.

We asked seniors how they felt about their last first week at UNC.

Elizabeth, Classical Civilizations

How does it feel to have your last FWOC?

Since I’m graduating early, I haven’t really accepted it. It’s definitely sentimental though, but I haven’t really wrapped my mind around it yet.

Any ideas of what you will do after graduation?

I’m going to nursing school, so I will definitely have more FDOCs in the future.

Do you have a bucket list for this semester?

I really want to steal a brick. I know it’s technically illegal, but I really want a brick from my senior year. I also kind of want to swim in the fountain but it’s way too cold for that now, so maybe later in the semester.

Do you have the same emotions about FWOC that you began with during your first year?

I’m definitely super nervous. I’ve been like this all day. I normally get really nervous before FDOC, and I haven’t read any of my syllabi and I just now ordered books. It’s nothing compared to freshman year though. The amount of caring has significantly decreased.

How does your semester look so far?

It could be easy – this is the second semester that I don’t have a science or a math – but it could be difficult because I am taking my first anthology courses and they are 400 and 500 level classes. My major requires that I take a class at Duke, and so for Christmas, I got a UNC backpack that I definitely plan on wearing. I’m looking forward to FWOC nonetheless.

Abby, Global Studies and Communications

Weird. I feel like it wasn’t that long ago that I started. I can’t believe it was over three years ago that I was a freshman. High school dragged on but college has gone by way too fast.

I’ve been applying to jobs. I applied to Teach for America. I don’t want to stay in North Carolina, so I’m applying to jobs all over.

My roommates and I have a list of things we want to do. I’m trying to get them on board with this, but I really want to streak in Davis during finals week.

Do you have the same emotions before FWOC that you began with during your first year?

No, I don’t. I honestly didn’t really know what classes I was even taking until a few days ago, and I don’t normally buy books until probably a week after classes.

How does your semester look so far?

I am taking three Communications classes this semester because I finished my global studies sooner (since I like it better). I’m not taking any Spanish which is a bummer, but it will probably make life easier.

Summer, Global Studies

It’s weird – in a way I’m really excited because I’m done with school, but it has been weird walking around knowing this is the last semester I’m going to be here.

No. I thought I needed a plan because everyone is telling me I do. I don’t really have a plan or know where I’m going to live, so I’m just going to go with it and see what happens.

My roommates and I have a food bucket list. We wrote down a list of restaurants in Durham and Chapel Hill that we wanted to visit. That includes donut and ice cream shops of course.

I still feel kind of nervous going to new classes and meeting new people, but at the same time I’m more confident as a senior.

How does your semester look so far?

I finished my major and I’m taking some history classes and music classes for fun. I’ve auditioned for music classes that I’ve wanted to do all four years here. It’ll still be hard, but the work I’m putting into it will be worth it.

UNC