CUAB hosts annual gingerbread house building competition

‘Holiday Fun Fest’ just sounds like a good time

CUAB held their annual Holiday Fun Fest from 11am-3pm Wednesday in the Union, offering hot chocolate, holiday music, gingerbread house building and a lot of candy. An LDOC celebration, the fun fest was a much needed study break for many students and a great way to get into the holiday spirit.

Those who came out were able to create their own gingerbread buildings, ranging from cottages to mansions to Carolina landmarks.

The first step was gathering materials. Whether you wanted an M&M roof or coconut shaving snow, the Union set up the treats in a buffet-style. An entire plate of icing was necessary for “cementing” the walls – and occasional snacking while building.

The crowded hall sang along to Mariah Carey’s “All I Want for Christmas is You” as they worked diligently.

Those with more building skills were able to enter their houses into a contest, and winners were announced every hour on the hour. Those who lacked the creative skills were still able to take their creations home for decoration – or dinner tonight.

Many of the winners made landmarks around UNC, like the Old Well and the Bell Tower.

Of course The Tab made a house

Other activities, celebrating Hanukkah and Kwanza, included dreidel games and coloring sheets.

Overall, the holiday celebration made for a great LDOC and study break before finals start up.

Happy LDOC and happy holidays, Tar Heels!

UNC