The Loreleis host UNC, UVA and Duke a cappella groups at Fall Jam

The concert drew a crowd of 240

On Friday and Saturday evening, the UNC Loreleis, dressed in all black attire, took the stage and once again put our a-ca-dreams to shame.

Each fall semester, the all-female a cappella group holds Fall Jam in Historic Playmakers. Of course, as a committed a-ca-groupie, I have attended the concert each year. It’s been absolutely incredible watching them grow.

Photo credit: Jake Fatheree

To put in perspective how much work these girls do, they began the concert with a list of numbers: 29 hours of practice during concert week, 146 pages of music, 627 miles travelled over fall break during their tour, 182 Loreleis since 1981, 29 songs learned each year, 46 awkward boys they serenaded over fall break and 240 people in the audience.

Any of the 240 could attest the concert was well worth it.

Photo credit: Jake Fatheree

The show began with a dance-along worthy cover of “Our Own House” by MisterWives followed by a slowed down, moody arrangement of Gnarls Barkley’s “Crazy.” Each song was carefully chosen, providing an array of ballads, pop, country and even American folk.

The UNC Clef Hangers and the Duke Pitchforks performed on Friday as the Loreleis’ guests.

As Lorelei Kaitlyn Flythe joked before welcoming them on stage, it got a little chilly that morning and we were concerned the eight-mile drive from Duke would stop the Pitchforks from making the trip. Thankfully, they made it safely and both groups gave killer performances.

Photo credit: Jake Fatheree

On Saturday evening, the Loreleis hosted the UNC Walk-Ons and the UVA Hullabahoos.

Towards the end of the show, Lorelums – as the group fondly calls Loreleis who have graduated – joined the current members on stage for a traditional performance of “Lorelei” and song-splained what a Lorelei is. Basically, they’re all mythical sirens who enchant sailors with their voices and lure them to their deaths. They said it, not me.

Photo credit: Jake Fatheree

The group ended the show with “Lies” by Marina and the Diamonds before returning to the stage for an encore mashup of Tove Lo’s “Habits” and “Talking Body.”

If you missed them for Fall Jam, fear not. Their spring concert is April 1 in Memorial Hall and it will probably be just as magical, if not more. Just like their voices. Because they’re sirens. If you’re a sailor, maybe don’t go?

UNC