Blank Canvas Dance Company debuts fall showcase

Some of the ticket sales were FTK

On Saturday, Blank Canvas Dance Company hosted their fall showcase. With over 200 members, BCDC is well-known to most UNC students.

But there are quite a few things you still might not know about Blank Canvas or its weekend showcase.

Some of the ticket fees went to the Carolina for the Kids Foundation, formerly known as UNC Dance Marathon. The foundation has earned over $4 million since its founding in 1999.

Photo by Mary Rachel Bulkeley

Blank Canvas has a wide variety of dance forms – music from the showcase ranged from Beyoncé to Lana del Rey, and the choreographed routines had equal variety. Dancers showed off their skills in tap, ballet and several other styles of dance.

Sophomore Jessica Winesette said: “I love how there’s so many styles. You can easily find whatever kind of dance you want to do.”

BCDC is completely student-run. After one semester, students are given the opportunity to choreograph the dances.

There were several heartwarming moments during the showcase. Tyler Jeffries – a UNC graduate, former BCDC dancer and the emcee for the evening – walked on stage every few dances to announce awards for BCDC members.

Among other honors, three students were given recognition for their choreography. One of the recipients, sophomore Hannah Dix, shared her thoughts on the recognition.

“I was humbled to get nominated for the award. I’m also incredibly thankful to all my dancers for working so hard and making the choreography come to life. It really wouldn’t have happened without them.”

The showcase was the culmination of the students’ work all semester, and by the time of the showcase, they had certainly grown closer.

Jessica said: “I love how everyone’s so supportive of each other. It’s an awesome community for being such a big organization.

“Being a part of such a supportive dance community is my favorite aspect of Blank Canvas,” Hannah said.

UNC