I’m a GDI and I live with a sorority girl

How many ways can you remix ‘Uptown Funk’ to be about your sorority?

I am not in a sorority. While I have nothing against them, sororities never appealed to me, so I never even considered rushing.

My roommate, on the other hand, rushed fall semester of freshman year. She’s constantly going to cocktails, mixers and philanthropy events while I stay home and watch Netflix.

Although we’re best friends and get along wonderfully, my roommate and I certainly have our differences. You see, she’s a sorority girl, which makes me a GDI.

In order for y’all to understand what it’s like, I’ve compiled a list of pros and cons of living with a sorority girl.

Pro: Her wardrobe

Where dreams come true

Because of the sheer number of events sorority girls have to attend, they have more clothes than they know what to do with. Need a fancy dress for a date? She’s got it from a cocktail. Need an ugly Christmas sweater? She has one from a mixer last year.

Con: You’re forced to become a photographer

All girls are picky about pictures. If it’s a bad pic, we’ll make you take 15 more until we find our correct angles. I get it. But with sorority girls, they have photo-worthy events every week.

I spend half of my life taking posed pictures and “candids,” and I now know the meaning of phrases like “power point” and “fam pic.” I’m pretty sure I could do weddings or bar mitzvahs at this point.

Pro: You get to go to events

I may or may not have been wearing bedroom shoes

For cocktails, it’s standard for members to bring a guy. If my roommate can’t find one or is just feeling generous, sometimes I get to be her date.

Also, I kind of enjoy crashing pre-games in my PJs.

Con: Recruitment

They survived, and so did I. Barely.

Now, I know what you’re thinking. How could recruitment be as bad for the roommate as it is for the actual sorority member? But hear me out.

First of all, for about three weeks, I had no roommate. She was constantly at the house for practice, and I hardly ever saw her.

Secondly, the SONGS. Oh my goodness. You wouldn’t think you could remix that many songs to discuss a sorority, but take my word for it, you can. I will never be able to listen to Uptown Funk again.

Pro: You get new friends

From going to events, dinners and her just inviting people over, you meet quite a few of her sisters (she has approximately a million). I know a bunch of girls in my roommate’s sorority because of her, and you can never have too many friends.

Cons: When you actually do want to go out, she has an event

With a date. That I can’t go to. Granted, this isn’t always the case. But the last Saturday before Thanksgiving break and she has to go to informal? Come on.

Rooming with a sorority girl is not always a walk in the park. But through all the ups and downs, I’d take her over a fellow GDI any day.

Just please stop with the recruitment songs.

UNC national-us