We asked students if they feel safe returning to their home cities after Paris

‘Allowing their threat to disrupt our lives is only feeding their goal’

Since the attacks in Paris on Friday, the international media has covered nothing but ISIS and its members. Despite the news being important across all borders, it’s also relevant to Chapel Hill and the students who attend UNC, but many are confused about the events that unfolded this weekend and what they mean on a smaller scale.

Yesterday, there was a bomb threat at Harvard University, as well as a gun threat at Washington College in Maryland. As UNC students come from all over the country, including some of the biggest cities in the nation like NYC, D.C. and Atlanta, we asked a few peers from these places what they thought about the recent developments, specifically the recent threats on the U.S.

Scroll to the end of this article for more information on this weekend’s attacks.

Caroline Leopold, freshman, New York City

“As we become more involved with ISIS, we are a larger target as a nation. I think measures should be taken to eradicate ISIS entirely – the cause is worthy of that risk. We can no longer think of ISIS as something that is contained to Syria because it has become an international threat. Now that we are able to recognize that fact, we are better prepared to take proper precautions.

“Being from New York City, I am always hyper-sensitive to threats of terror attacks. I wouldn’t say it makes me uncomfortable to go home, but it’s definitely extremely concerning. I think staying educated and aware of conditions of national concern, especially regarding ISIS, is important when living in a major city.”

Kiana Givpoor, sophomore, Washington D.C.

“I’m not particularly nervous to go home because D.C. constantly has high security measures in place. Also, it’s questionable how serious the ISIS threats may be, anyway. At this point, we need to have faith in our national security and our government to protect us from these threats.

“I also think the stigma surrounding other Muslims needs to stop. ISIS is an extremist group that could not possibly represent an entire religion’s belief nor do their beliefs even follow the Muslim religion (the Quran specifically states that their God, Allah, does not believe in murder).

“ISIS attacks go beyond religion – it is a strike against humanity and affects everyone within society. Being Muslim is not the equivalent of being a terrorist, and people need to understand that. The only people to blame are the mass murderers in ISIS.”

Charlotte Chilton, sophomore, New York City area

“I think the threats on the U.S. have put everyone on edge because it shows the power of ISIS and how its ability to inflict terror has increased. It’s scary to be dealing with this type of organization that is targeting large cities and living in one definitely makes you feel vulnerable. I won’t restrict my actions though, because allowing their threat to disrupt our lives is only feeding their goal to do so.

“I think New York City will definitely increase security measures due to the threats, but I feel that the current status of NYC security is already very strong and will be able to respond well to any threats.”

Wes Wallace, sophomore, Houston

“I wouldn’t say I’m nervous to go back to Houston or anything, but I definitely think the city is more at risk given that it’s the fourth biggest city. Terrorists tend to be inclined to go after a big city in order to make a statement, like Paris.

“As far as security, I’ve heard that the pro sports games will have increased security because one of the attacks in Paris took place at a soccer game, but I’m not sure about the city as a whole.”

Joe Janezcko, sophomore, Atlanta

“I’ve always thought that Atlanta could be at risk for a terrorist attack with multiple large corporations and the CDC headquartered there, but I don’t know if there are necessarily any further concerns now that the Islamic state has threatened Washington. I really don’t think they’ll be able to successfully attack our capital or handle our military might. Atlanta may increase police presence, but I don’t think it needs to be a major concern for the city.”

Natalie Swimmer, junior at Furman, studying abroad in Paris this semester

“At the time of the attack, I was at a really nice restaurant and had no idea what was happening. As I walked out, I got a ton of messages about everything happening so I immediately went back to my hotel, which was on lockdown. A lot of my friends were traveling outside of the country so I was worried about them possibly not being able to get back into Paris.

“It’s pretty scary and depressing here right now. Since Friday, I’ve barely been able to leave my apartment, except to go to the grocery store, and I Uber everywhere. I had class today and I took the metro, but I was so paranoid the entire time. There are police everywhere, though, which is both comforting and scary at the same time.

“I’ve thought seriously about going home, but I don’t want to let something like this ruin my study abroad experience. I just hope things can go back to normal as soon as possible so I can continue enjoying the beauty of Paris and its people.”

On Tuesday, the Coalition for Human Rights and Campus Y are hosting a candlelight vigil in honor of the recent crises in Beirut, Burundi, Paris and beyond, in an effort to extend support to those suffering from this global conflict by gathering to spread peace and awareness. More event info can be found here.

Quick facts

G20: Stands for the “Group of 20” who met in Turkey on Monday. It’s an assembly of governments and leaders from 19 countries – Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Mexico, Russian Federation, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Turkey, U.K., United States – and the European Union.

François Hollande: The president of France, who called the attacks “an act of war.” He promised the traumatized public his new military campaign against ISIS will “not contain it, but destroy it.”

‘Dabiq’: A monthly magazine produced by members of ISIS that describes itself as “a periodical magazine focusing on the issues of tawhid (unity), manhaj (truth-seeking), hijrah (migration), jihad (holy war) and jama’ah (community).” It also contains up-to-date photos and reports of the latest matters relating to the Islamic state.

PlayStation 4: The method of communication rumored to have been used by the members of ISIS to communicate and plan attacks. Its ‘Party Chat’ feature allows PS4 users to chat with others via text or voice call, but can’t be easily monitored by authorities.

Salah Abdeslam: One of the eight suspects who is assumed to have been involved in the attacks. A worldwide manhunt is currently underway for this man, who French police warned is “armed and dangerous.” One of his brothers was killed during the attacks, and the other was taken into custody in Brussels.

What we know so far

The Paris attacks on Friday night left 129 people dead and 352 injured, including 99 who are still in critical condition.

ISIS has taken responsibility for the attacks, calling them “the first of the storm,” and the worldwide search is still underway for Salah Abdeslam. French police are wondering what went wrong after they had him in custody at one point, but after checking his ID, let him go.

Early Sunday, President Hollande “stepped up to the soccer goal,” ordering the French military to carry out airstrikes in Raqqa, Syria. They dropped 20 bombs across the country, including many on ISIS’s command center, recruitment center, ammunition storage base and a training camp. On top of that, more than 150 police anti-terror raids have been conducted in cities across France since Friday.

On Monday, ISIS members released a video threatening the U.S. and any other country participating in the airstrikes on Syria. In the video, men warn of an upcoming wave of attacks specifically on Washington D.C., along with other major cities in Europe.

While similar threats have been made in the past, the timing sent Washington D.C. into high alert, along with Rome and London. Even though it hasn’t been officially authenticated yet, you can watch the chilling video here.

In the G20 meetings on Monday in Turkey, President Barack Obama said the attacks in Paris were a “terrible and sickening setback” in the fight against the jihadists, but putting U.S. troops on the ground in Syria “would be a mistake.”

However, some critics say Hollande’s actions have made Obama “look like a cheese-eating amateur” due to his lack of legitimate action taken. UNC students on the polling app Whatsgoodly voiced their concern on the topic.

Later Monday afternoon, news broke that one of the attackers came to France posing as a Syrian refugee. This sparked North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory to take action, as he asked the federal government to cease sending Syrian refugees to North Carolina. He said background checks are not currently accurate, and refugees already accepted into the state need to be background checked again.

UNC