I ate all the ice cream on Franklin and ranked each one

To be fair, it was ice cream, gelato AND frozen yogurt

I’ve always loved ice cream. In fact, I’ve been known to spend an absurd amount of money in Rams Head Market just for one tiny pint. Anyway.

There are a handful of places in Chapel Hill serving ice cream, fro-yo and gelato, all of which should make you burst with joy. But…how do you choose?

This weekend I took it upon myself to indulge in some of the sweet treats and create a completely non-scientific ranking and review of the best place to eat the frozen dessert on Franklin.

The overall ranking included price, atmosphere and taste.

The Yogurt Pump

The Yogurt Pump is a Carolina tradition. Like Time Out, this is a place you’ve gotta visit at least once while you’re at UNC. It’s been open since 1982 and, unlike some places on Franklin, it’s here to stay.

I honestly could not have picked a worse time to come. A Friday night after a basketball game? A rookie mistake made by a veteran. Lesson learned.

The only major downside to YoPo is the lack of space, but that’s really only an issue on the weekends. Besides, the line is totally worth the wait when you consider the amazing quality compared to the small amount of cash you have to spend.

After waiting in line for a solid 15 minutes, it was finally my turn. YoPo is known for having ever-changing flavors, so there’s always an opportunity to try something new. If you’re adventurous, this is definitely the spot for you.

One major plus is they let you choose up to three flavors. You want Oreo, Southern Strawberry and Alpine Vanilla with rainbow sprinkles? You got it.

Being able to buy anything on Franklin Street for less than ten bucks is a miracle in itself. I paid less than four dollars.

I must add that I did pay in cash. Using a debit or credit card will result in an extra charge unless you spend more than four dollars. If you really have to use your card, bring some friends and have them pay you back. Easy peasy.

Ranking

Price: 5/5 – The cheapest treat I had this weekend.

Atmosphere: 3/5 – It was busy and I wasn’t in the mood. But the people there were all nice and friendly.

Taste: 5/5

Overall: 4.3

Sugarland

Okay, so this was actually my first time eating at Sugarland and I didn’t know what to expect. I heard the overall quality was good, but it can be a little pricey.

Just from the decor, this is clearly the place you take your parents to and then hope they take pity on you and pay.

As a college student, it’s not recommended you eat here more than twice a semester. Your bank account will hate you. And then you’ll probably end up in bed, crying about another bad life decision you made. But hey, you do you.

Sugarland is a bit different from other dessert options because they sell gelato, which is basically the Italian take on ice cream. The main difference is they use whole milk instead of cream.

The $4.70 I spent was totally worth it. The gelato was melt-in-your-mouth good. It wasn’t chewy or super hard. Just a light ball of dairy perfection. And you could totally tell it was fresh.

Ranking

Price: 2/5 – Four dollars for a small just isn’t college budget friendly. They also have a five dollar card minimum.

Atmosphere: 4/5 – Nice and cozy, with a good mix of glitz.

Taste: 5/5

Overall: 3.6

Ben and Jerry’s

By this point, I was running out of steam. And money. And time. I never thought I wouldn’t want to eat more ice cream, but I guess it happens to the best of us. I went on Monday, just 15 minutes before closing.

While I was looking at the menu, I realized I should’ve budgeted for this. My broke-ness required I get a kid’s cup, which was surprisingly filling.

I chose Salted Caramel Brownie Ale because it was labeled as a new flavor. The salted caramel paired well with the brownie, so overall the purchase was worth it. But if you don’t like having to chew a lot, don’t even bother with Ben and Jerry’s.

Another thing – they’re expensive. If you’re going to pay almost $4 for a kid’s cup like I did, you might as well go to CVS or Walgreens and spend two extra bucks for a pint.

My dearest apologies to the workers who watched me scarf down the Salted Caramel Brownie Ale in less than five minutes. The brain freeze was inevitable.

Ranking

Price: 1/5

Atmosphere: 2/5 – It’s a chain.

Taste: 4/5

Overall: 2.3

sweetFrog

AKA the only place I didn’t make it to because I’m a broke-ass bitch who didn’t budget. But alas, your fav ice cream connoisseur has eaten here before.

I haven’t been to the sweetFrog on Franklin since last year, mainly because their self-serve set-up is a death trap. You’re probably going to end up paying more than you want because payment is based on how much your cup weighs.

The upside is they offer students 10 percent off Monday through Thursday if you show them your OneCard. But if you’re like me, you probably aren’t trying to rush to sweetFrog for your fro-yo fix during the week. Especially when there are less expensive options.

But they do have an endless amount of flavors to choose from, which allows you to have whatever your heart desires, and who wouldn’t want that?

My masterpiece included white chocolate chips, sprinkles and the birthday cake fro-yo flavor. Super yummy. If I remember correctly, it was about $6, which isn’t terrible, but $6 at YoPo can get you way more.

Ranking

Price: 1/5 – The self serve machine will mess you up. Limit yourself.

Atmosphere: 2/5 – It’s also a chain, nothing too special about it.

Taste: 4/5

Overall: 2.3

On Franklin Street, there are plenty of great ice cream and fro-yo places to choose from. You’ve got your local favorites and chain giants. How you choose will probably depend on what you’re craving and how much you’re willing to spend. Regardless, there’s something for everyone.

The next time you’re in need of a study break, or maybe you just love frozen treats, head over to Franklin Street. And don’t hold back on the toppings.

UNC