Photo Phriday: A country fried good time

Country Fried Duck gives its patrons a good time with a country twang

There’s a new night scene in Chapel Hill that’s bringing the South back, and it ain’t wearing seersucker. If you’re looking for wine, pounding EDM, glow sticks or gourmet pub-fare, forget about it.

Country Fried Duck, the new bar on Franklin, has recently opened its doors as a country-themed destination. It’s a hard liquor, beer-pouring bar.

Photo by Connor Atkins for The Tab UNC

Photo by Jason Binkley for The Tab UNC

Photo by Connor Atkins for The Tab UNC

Photo by Jason Binkley for The Tab UNC

Step inside and the first thing you notice is the rustic floor. The entire place is made for the pounding of cowboy boots. It has two full bars which means no shortage of drinks no matter how many cowgirls are on the dance floor.

If pool is your thing, they’ve got a table for that, and if you’re looking to get bent, well, they’ve got a table for that too. The Country Fried Duck has two massive beer pong tables and plenty of plastic red cups to get your game on. As in, you can go here to play beer pong instead of your overcrowded living room or dorm room.

Photo by Jason Binkley for The Tab UNC

Photo by Connor Atkins for The Tab UNC

Photo by Jason Binkley for The Tab UNC

Photo by Connor Atkins for The Tab UNC

There is a nice outdoor patio with overhanging lights and music playing at a sensible level – not unenergetically quiet, but not obnoxiously loud either. Above the outdoor bar is a big wooden cutout of a duck.

Immediately inside the door, to the right, is the holding pen for a mechanical bull. Bull = quite soft. The stripper-esque red, blue and pink lights? Quite nice. I’m sure that bull would give many a patron a good ride for their money.

Photo by Jason Binkley for The Tab UNC

Photo by Connor Atkins for The Tab UNC

Photo by Jason Binkley for The Tab UNC

The corrugated metal walling reflects the light from the primary bar and helps keep the interior cohesive.

There’s a nice, purple bar with various shelves of liquor. There is quite a variety in liquors, but a lot of whiskey. Fitting for a country-themed bar, yeah?

The Tab UNC is holding its launch party at Country Fried Duck on Tuesday, November 10.

Maybe take a ride on the mechanical bull? Let’s see how long everyone can last.

UNC