I lived a day like UNC workout queen Cynthia-Grace

Being Insta-famous ain’t easy

UNC senior Cynthia-Grace Clarkson is a professional bikini competitor, has a loyal Instagram following of 33,000 and frequently receives fitness freebies.

I’m not a gym rat, and I’m not famous on any form of social media, but I agreed to step into Cynthia-Grace’s shoes for a day to try out her training routine.

For 24 hours, I followed all of her instructions on how to eat, sleep and exercise. And it was eye-opening.

Apparently, in order to be a famous health guru, you actually have to do the work.

I began my day in Cynthia-Grace uniform: a baseball cap, cut-off t-shirt, spandex shorts, high Nike socks and sneakers. I was fully committed to this.

The first meal was as soon as I woke up – some dank protein pancakes. Yes, protein pancakes.

Breakfast was followed by a dreadful 14-minute bike workout. I’m not completely inadequate when it comes to working out, but this was no joke. Her instructions were: “For a minute and 40 seconds, give 50% of energy, and then for 20-seconds, give it 110%. Do this 7 times.”

110%? Really? I looked like a coked-out hamster on a wheel.

Post-workout snack was a turkey sandwich. At this point, it was around 10am and I had already eaten more than I normally would by 1pm. I also had to lug around a gallon of water all day and finish it by the time I went to bed. It wasn’t convenient.

Around 12pm, it was time for lunch. My meal consisted of tilapia, carrots and cucumbers. Sense a pattern here? Eating quite literally took over my entire day. I attempted to finish the plate but a girl can only do so much.

I immediately went into a food coma, but I didn’t nap. That’s not what Cynthia-Grace would do, oh no. She would go ahead and prepare her pre-workout snack of protein-plus pasta, because the more food the merrier.

Cynthia-Grace training before her competition

On my way to meet Cynthia-Grace at the gym, I was already wishing it were over. I knew it wouldn’t be easy. She prefaced it with: “Hope you have 2-3 hours to spare.”

I went in expecting a full body workout and left with my shoulders crying in pain. We spent the full two hours working our shoulders and you better believe that after I left, she continued for another hour or so without my pathetic ass holding her back. And my weights were teeny compared to hers.

On my way out she yelled after me: “Don’t forget your protein!” Yep, had to leave and buy a protein shake. I had already passed my normal caloric intake by at least 500 calories and there was still a full plate of brown rice, chicken and asparagus waiting for me at home.

After this entire day, Cynthia-Grace still had the time and energy to meal prep for the rest of the week. If you don’t know, meal prep is the process of cooking meals for the entire week and separating portions into Tupperware; thus eliminating Ramen five nights a week because cooking takes too long and cleaning dishes is hard (guilty).

Competitor Cynthia-Grace onstage in the NPC Victory Classic

If I followed this lifestyle, I would get nothing else done with my life, so props to Cynthia-Grace for being a successful UNC senior, fitness competitor and inspirational badass. It’s not for everyone.

Also, I should step away from the squat-rack and work out other parts of my body every now and then seeing as raising anything over my head was impossible the week following our workout.

Keep doin’ what-ya, doin’, girl. I’ll be in the audience cheering you on come spring competition.

Find Cynthia-Grace on Instagram @cynthiaaagracee.

UNC carolina chapel hill cynthia-grace instagram unc university of north carolina