Love in Chapel Hill: We asked Tar Heels about their ideal dates

Una Dabiero

‘Not Netflix and Chill’

Between the never-ending engagement photos on Facebook and the Old Well proposals, Chapel Hill is basically beating Paris as the city of love.

If you think you have time for dating between basketball tourneys, UNC’s workload and the million extracurriculars all the hard-asses here join, you still have to decide what to do.

We asked twelve Tar Heels if they would rather go hiking or Netflix and Chill.

Gabi Palascio, freshman, Journalism and Global Studies

“I’m the worst person to ask for this question. I guess dinner and a movie is nice. Something really low-key so it’s not too awkward.”

Emily Monnett, junior, Psychology

“Probably something outside – I want to go hiking or something. Not a long hike though, so I don’t get stuck with the person. With hiking you can be quiet, so it’s not too awkward. Sitting on the quad would be nice too.”

Alan Lu, senior, Statistics

“We would go to a theme park – with roller coasters. You really get to know someone on a scary roller coaster.”

Briana Humes, freshman, undecided

“I would say going somewhere fun like a carnival or a fair because there’s snacks! And it shows you if the person you’re dating is adventurous or outgoing.”

Lucas Bouknight, sophomore, Biology

“Something that’s entertaining but still allows plenty of conversation.I’ve always been a fan of mini golf.”

Sarah Beth Eason, sophomore, Political Science and PWAD

“Something adventurous. Going to explore something or something that includes a lot of talking. Something where you really get to know someone instead of a shallow movie date.”

Ariana Chavis, senior, Studio Arts and Native American Studies

“I would say something really simple like a picnic, but inside because I really don’t care for the outdoors. Cook me dinner. I prefer simple things, nothing expensive.”

Erin Rymiszewski, sophomore, Business

“Oh gosh, this is hard. Going on an adventure somewhere but then coming home and cooking a meal together. And eating it outside under the stars.”

Jonah Howell, sophomore, Linguistics

“Run into someone completely randomly and we begin talking about something completely irrelevant to our lives and end up in a tree and just learn about each other. We end up at a concert just doing music and waltzing to metal or something.”

Lynn Jia, senior, Communications

“It’s already happened. He took me to the aquarium in Seoul and then we walked in the nearby garden. Then we got dinner and watched Totoro. Yeah, that was our date.”

Jordan Chasteen, sophomore, Music and Business

“I don’t know – a hike somewhere maybe.”

Kathryn Scott, sophomore, undecided

“Not Netflix and Chill.”

UNC chapel hill dating students tar heels unc unc dating