Students react to news of UM being designated a ‘Bike Friendly University’

The League of American Bicyclists has awarded UM with a Bronze Level designation for bicycle friendliness

The University of Miami is among 51 universities recently recognized by the League of American Bicyclists as a Bicycle Friendly University. With its BFU bronze award, which cited UM’s high bike registration, BikeSafe curriculum; UBike Committee; Bike Expo and Safety Fair; and involvement in Gables Bike Day, the Dolphins Cancer Challenge, and the DCC Fall Family Fest, UM joins 164 universities in 44 states and Washington, D.C., that have been designated as BFUs over the past five years.

The University of Miami has been awarded the Bronze Level designation by the League of American Bicyclist for the second time in five years. UM encourages bicycling as an affordable, healthy, and environmentally sound transportation option by providing bicycle parking across campus, and other amenities, such as free bicycle locks, and bike repair stations. Other incentives include free showers at the Herbert Wellness Center for students, faculty, and staff who ride their bikes to campus.

“There are so many good reasons to promote cycling to campus,’’ said Lluvia Resendiz, Mobility Manager for Parking & Transportation.

“We decrease our carbon footprint, promote exercise and healthy living, reduce health care costs, reduce transportation cost, connect our communities, and boost our fun and healthy campus culture.” According to Lluvia, over 2,000 faculty, staff and students living within one mile of campus have elected to purchase a parking permit and one of the University’s goal is to encourage these individuals to give up their parking permit and try biking or other alternate modes of transportation.

In addition to saving on the cost of a parking permit, fuel and other related costs, the parking department will even provide a limited number day passes for those occasions when one may need to drive to campus.

Many students choose to commute to campus by bike

Students on campus expressed appreciation for those commitments to bike friendliness that the university has already made, and expressed a hope that UM will continue to improve its bicycle infrastructure. “It’s great how they offer free U locks to everyone who registers and that all of the bikes are registered,” said Brian Morgenlander, 23, Geography, who bikes to and from campus daily.

Another daily bike commuter, Hannah Lockwood, 22, Environmental Engineering added, “I definitely appreciate how many bike racks there are everywhere­–that adds to the feasibility of biking everywhere on campus.” She looks forward to the school improving its bicycle infrastructure in other ways.

Senior Brian Morgenlander and alumna Amy Schmidt will spend the summer biking across the United States

The university’s UBike Committee will have access to a variety of the League of American Bicyclists’ free support with educational materials and as technical assistance to become even more bicycle-friendly. Founded in 1880, the league is dedicated to creating a Bicycle Friendly America for everyone. Its Bicycle Friendly University program evaluates university efforts to promote bicycling in five primary areas: engineering, encouragement, education, enforcement and evaluation/planning.

For more information, contact UBike at, [email protected], or call 305-284-1547.

University of Miami