Where to take your parents when they visit Miami

You’re getting the visit, take advantage

You’re getting the inevitable visit. So, if you’re an opportunistic economist, you’ll take advantage of the situation. Not to mention you’re in the best city to do it at. We’re talking grade A restaurants, and expensive clothes shopping. Did I mention the “we’ll miss you, honey” allowance?

It’s been two months since school started, and that means you’re probably down to your last bag of ramen noodles, counting the days until you’re back home eating mommy’s home cooked meals. But hey, guess what? They’re coming to you! And if you’re a student in Miami, this is where you should be taking your parents and what you should be doing.

As long as the skies are Bleau

Where are they staying? At the Fontainebleau. Was that a rhetorical question? This means you’ll be spending the weekend at the most luxurious hotel in Miami. Located on South Beach, with prime location to move around.

You get to enjoy all morning by one of the three pools, or by the beach, plus unlimited celebrity sighting and just overall kicking it with the fam away from school. Plus, you’ll be able to check out the action at Miami’s hottest nightclub, LIV, located right in the lobby of the Fontainebleau.

Coffee paired with a view #Fontainebleau cc: @pisarriphoto

A photo posted by Fontainebleau Miami Beach (@fontainebleau) on Jul 19, 2016 at 6:43am PDT

I hope you’re hungry, because daddy is paying

Pops’ wallet will itch after this weekend, but if you’re trying capitalize nutritionally from this visit, you’ll take your parents to Komodo and Prime One Twelve. Right on the end of Ocean Drive, is Prime One Twelve, the most famous steakhouse in Miami and the best food in town without a doubt.

Plus, you’re right on Ocean Dr., so you got a nice place to walk the food off after. Komodo is taking Miami by storm, as the hottest restaurant since its opening nearly a year ago. Modern Asian is the only way to describe their food, but you’d have to go to understand. Even the Kardashians know where to celebrate their birthday in Miami (spot them below with Kanye, next to Komodo owner, Dave Grutman). They’re located in the Brickell area.

The Everglades are pretty amazing for a nice walk

If your parents feel touristy enough, you can roll up your sleeves and head to the Everglades National Park. It’s a natural region of tropical wetlands, and is historic to the state of Florida. From a shark valley, to a flamingo trail, to air-boating around the area, there’s no way you’ll get bored here.

Anhinga Trail – Everglades National Park

A photo posted by Junji Ueki (@johnnyueki) on Oct 23, 2016 at 6:01am PDT

Holla – did someone say shopping spree?

Feeling like feeding your closet a little bit? Want a pair of new kicks, but don’t want to pay them out of pocket once your parents leave? This calls for one thing only. Go to any of these gigantic malls that will easily get your clothes game up. Your mom will be very happy, too. Dad? Probably not so much.

The four places you have to hit up:

1. Aventura Mall
  2. Dadeland Mall
  3. Dolphin Mall
  4. Sawgrass Mills

Go to Wynwood and show them how cool Miami is

If you have some more time to kill, a spot that’s gotten super popular over the last few years is the “Wynwood Walls”, and Wynwood in general. Walk around and see the “walls” with different graffiti done by local street artists. Good chance for a dope Insta picture. And in the area there are some stores as well as restaurants and hippie-style bars.

If your parents are feeling it, take them out for a couple drinks. My favorite spot around there is Wood Tavern. It’s got sick graffiti decoration, a hanging car from the wall, and a taco truck inside for when the drunchies hit. It’s everything you’ve always wished for.

Loving me some #Wood after Matthew was a #fail #miamiisbipolar #miamilife #imiiamibitch #woodtavern #artwalk

A photo posted by H.G.D.M. ✄ (@oneu21681) on Oct 7, 2016 at 3:40pm PDT

On the last day you’ll get dropped back off at the dorms or your apartment, and the weekend will soon be over. Yes, you’ll sadly be going back to your sloppy-student ways and will surely miss this wonderful weekend once your parents are gone. But hey, they’ll be back next year, no? Don’t forget to ask for a little “go away” cash, so you can go back and treat yourself at one of these places on your own. You deserve it.

University of Miami