Nothing in this world is better than crushing beers at The Rat

Not even falling in love

I vividly remember the first day that I arrived on campus, before I even knew where my classes were, someone from the “Welcome Staff” asked me, “I’m assuming you’ve already been to the Rat, ah?” At that very moment I knew how special the place was and how much it meant to the university and everyone on campus.

Located on the ground level of the state-of-the art Student Activities Center, at The University of Miami, lies the most legendary on-campus bar the country has ever heard of. The Rathskeller.

The Rat it sweet any time of day or night

This traditional world-renowned school staple has been around since 1973, and it continues to pop off like the cap on my beer bottle. Choose to sit inside where you can watch sports games all day long on a gigantic (almost the size of the menu) display of television projectors, or opt for the (always the move) outdoor seating, which entails sitting on big gliding benches with tables facing the beautiful school lake and fountain.

The endless menu has classic items, but that unique traditional taste, that makes sure you never forget where you’re eating. The Rat is the best thing about the University of Miami. My only complaint? It’s not open 24/7.

No one can believe that college life can been this great

Whenever I tell my buddies that attend other schools, that I get to “kill time” at an on-campus bar where I get to take down pitchers of beer in the gorgeous Miami heat, I always get the same reaction. Something along the lines of “You’re joking, right?,” or “Stop messing with me!” Not a joke, pal, that’s how it goes down at the U.

Besides for serving as a restaurant/bar, the Rat is also home to all sorts of  campus entertainment, such as live bands, poetry slams, and comedy acts.

My personal favorite times to go to the Rat are during a Miami sports game, where everyone is cheering like crazy, or on “Bid Day,” one day a semester where all the fraternities arrive early and turn the place into an amicable warzone, as they try to reserve seating for the other members of their frat.

Then, they can spend the day hanging out, doing last minute recruiting, and crush a couple beers while waiting for Bid Day to take place on a stage right outside the Rat.

It’s not just drink, the food and atmosphere is great too

As soon as you walk into the main dining area of the Rat, you are welcomed by a big red popcorn machine. Yes, free unlimited popcorn for anyone to grab while they wait for their food (don’t get full on popcorn, though, the food portions here are no joke).

The rest of the room is decorated with old school fraternity and sorority paddles, as well as awesome historical UM sports jerseys, banners and pictures.

The Rat is entirely student staffed, which means it’s chill af

One of my favorite aspects of the Rat is that it employs students for all of their positions. This is great because not only does it provide working opportunities for students on campus, but it also creates an extremely friendly atmosphere that makes your overall experience enjoyable every time.

It’s always pleasant to eat around familiar faces, and hey, if your friend is bartending that day, you may just end up with a free refill on your pitcher.

The Rathskeller has without a doubt made my college experience

I can say with confidence that the almighty Rathskeller has single-handedly enhanced my time at the U. It has roofed me in the rain, fed me while in hunger, entertained me while in boredom, and for this, I will forever be indebted to it.

If you ever find yourself needing to kill some time at the University of Miami, you know exactly where to go. Do yourself the favor and get the “Miami Meltdown” sandwich. If you’re not very hungry, get the out-this-world grilled cheese with a side of sweet potato fries.

Considering the amount of times I’ve been in this place, it’s safe to say by now I’ve definitely sat on the same chair as Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson.

After almost four years at this university, it is with certainty that I can say, nothing screams ‘MIAMI’ like having a cold one in between classes with your buddies at the ‘Rat.’

University of Miami