I go to a party school but I don’t drink

College isn’t just about getting black out drunk

UM is awesome for all types of people, but the partiers here definitely came to the right place. Every weekend (or weekday) there are themed frat parties and beautiful clubs with beautiful people, but it’s just not my scene.

I don’t mean I’m a complete teetotaler, but most of my weekends and nights out with my friends don’t include getting wasted. Let’s just say the song “Here” by Alessia Cara is my anthem.

Yes, The U is one of the most notorious party schools in the country.

Months before school started, whenever I told someone I was heading south to Miami for college, I got the same response every time. People assumed I was a huge partier and couldn’t wait to ignore schoolwork and live it up in the Sunshine State.

You won’t find my Solo cup filled with cheap vodka

I started to get concerned – what if my only source of fun in college was going to be getting drunk every night? BroBible, I’m Shmacked, and Playboy recognize our school as one of the biggest party schools – from tailgates to clubs in South Beach to dozens of concerts and raves – almost every year.

And seriously, kudos to the people who can stay out all hours of the night and still pull off 4.0s – you guys are awesome.

I’ve made great friends who don’t make me feel like I have to drink to have fun.

My first few months here have been some of the best of my life. A large part of it comes from the awesome friends I’ve made and the adventures we’ve had. Not spending my Sunday mornings recovering from the weekend’s activities opens up another day to try a new brunch spot and enjoy the Miami sun.

I would rather spend my weekend outside than hiding from a hangover

I don’t regret going to bed early on Friday nights in order to bike ride in Key Biscayne or to get a good spot on the beach at Matheson Park. I don’t feel like I’m missing anything if I skip out on some pool parties to go to baseball games. And yes, I would rather try out the local restaurants and ice cream shops instead of hitting  the clubs in South Beach. 

But, at the end of the day people don’t really get it.

On Friday afternoons when people ask me what I have planned for the night, they always expect me to respond with which frat party I’m going to. They’re usually surprised when I say I’m spending the night in with my friends or how I’m going shopping at Lincoln Road Mall.

Sometimes it can be embarrassing when a friend is comparing frat houses and I have nothing to add to the conversation, but I know either way, we’re all getting the best from our college experiences.

My amazing friends who have made my college experience

While it definitely looks like the students here are enjoying their weekends out partying, I’ve made lifelong memories with great people who have similar mindsets to mine and I’m super excited for what the next few years will bring.

University of Miami