RSMAS might be saving coral reefs, but they need your help

The UM Scuba Club and RSMAS have been hard at work replenishing Florida’s Staghorn coral population

On Sunday, I had the opportunity to join the University of Miami Scuba Club on their Rescue a Reef trip. Along with RSMAS, we helped maintain a Staghorn coral nursery and transplant coral fragments. Historically, Staghorn coral has been a vital facet in Florida’s underwater ecology. It serves as one of the fastest growing corals, and also one of the sturdiest.

In order to transplant coral fragments, it is important to first farm and harvest existing specimens. In the many years RSMAS has been trying to end coral bleaching and regenerate the reef, they have managed to take just a few small corals from the wild. Dalton Hesley from the Rescue a Reef program gave us wonderful insight into how RSMAS is able to farm coral. Corals reproduce by asexual fragmentation – and Staghorn is no different. The original clippings have budded and reproduced – and now serve as a continuous stream of ready-to-transplant coral.

On our first dive, we came across several large “trees.” These PVC structures were designed to hold the coral fragments and provide them with an anchoring position and room to grow.

Our first task was to clean the PVC with a wire brush. Then, we clipped the developing corals off of the plastic tree. By collecting the larger specimens, our group ensured that the transplanted Staghorn coral would be given the greatest chance at survival.

After getting back on the boat, we were given a briefing on what to expect for the second dive. Our task was to hammer nails into the existing coral reef. Then, we would secure our coral fragments with zip-ties and caulk. Essentially, the hope is that the coral clippings will find a foothold on the reef, embed, and thrive.

Our group of twenty UM Scuba Club members was able to transplant nearly one hundred budding coral formations. Soon, they will grow – and hopefully replenish the reef. 

As this project moves forward, RSMAS will need your help! They are always looking for interested volunteers. The entire experience felt very rewarding and gratifying. Hopefully, our efforts can make a difference in the ongoing fight against reef destruction.

University of Miami