Hampshire College President refuses to raise American flag despite protests

Hundreds of veterans gathered to speak out against his decision

This past Sunday, hundreds of veterans gathered in front of Hampshire College to protest the college’s removal of the American flag.

The flag was first removed following an incident where several students lit it on fire to protest the election results. It was decided by the college’s president, Jonathan Lash, that the flag would not be replaced, though law officials did so themselves.

When the college removed the flag once more, frustration and outrage flared among local veterans who were offended by the act.

Sunday, they gathered in large numbers to protest the president’s refusal to raise the flag once more.

Springfield’s Mayor Domenic Sarno spoke at the protest saying that it was about respect.

“It’s because of our veterans,” Sarno said, “and many who have given the ultimate sacrifice and their families that we’re able to lead the lives we lead. The same goes for Hampshire College.”

Though, despite the efforts of the veterans and allied-protesters, President Lash says that the flag will remain lowered. He claims he lowered the flag because it was preventing students from having an open and honest dialogue post-election and that it will remain lowered, temporarily, while these dialogues are still ongoing.

If you don't love these colors, move

A photo posted by Mike Misterka (@mikemisterka1987) on Nov 27, 2016 at 10:13am PST

UMass Amherst