UMass voters will be asked about lowering the drinking age

‘Do you think the drinking age should be lowered to 19?’

This week, as registered Amherst voters head out to the polls to cast their votes in the 2016 general election, there is actually reason to celebrate. Set aside your frustrations over the presidential candidates for a moment to rejoice in the fact that Amherst is the only legislative region out of 200 that is posing one of the most important questions of our generation:

Do you think the drinking age should be lowered to 19?

That’s right folks. Our local government understands our struggles.

But don’t get too excited. It would only be for wines and malt beverages. All other alcohols would remain at the 21-year age limit.

This question is meant to put pressure on the state representative to make motions for or against such legislation. It’s a result of the efforts of Matthew Malone, a 48-year-old actuary who considers himself an activist in age-discrimination. He has also petitioned against the age limits on rental cars and fantasy sports.

According to a news report from WWLP.com, Alisa Brewer – chairwoman of the Amherst Select Board – agreed to put the question on the ballot thinking that it would “kickstart a conversation” that’s important to have in a college town.

Though, Solomon Goldstein-Rose, 22, is set to take over as state Representative, succeeding current Rep, Ellen Story, claims that he plans on abstaining from this question, instead turning his focus to climate change and education.

Still, this might be a step in the right direction. Is it possible that our local government is Zoo-MAss’ biggest hype man?

UMass Amherst