The ultimate guide to eating your way through Amherst

Or ‘how to gain the freshman 15 as quickly as possible’

Let’s not deny it people, when choosing UMass, most of us had the dining halls in mind – after all, we are number one in the nation for campus food. I mean come on, we’ve all experienced the magic that is Hamp sushi.

But for all you who are new to the UMass community, I have even more exciting news: The dining halls aren’t the only places to eat around here. Amherst may be a little town, but it sure has a big stomach. If you’re going to experience a proper UMass Amherst semester, then you’ll need to know about these amazing eats.

The Lone Wolf

The best place to go after a night of drinking is the Lone Wolf. They have amazing breakfast food and it’s all made from scratch. With vegan and gluten free options, there is something for everyone, and they have some of the best home fries I’ve ever eaten. It’s seriously the perfect place for a hangover cure, and decently priced!

Glazed

Stuffed doughnut ? by @lettucedine #foodiefavorites #glazeddoughnuts

A photo posted by FOODIE FAVORITES (@foodie_favorites) on Dec 16, 2015 at 11:24am PST

Who doesn’t love donuts?! Glazed is the place to go if you need to satisfy your sweet tooth. They have pretty much any flavor you can imagine from chocolate chip cookie dough, to chocolate oreo peanut butter, to a regular old fashioned donut. And they even have vegan & gluten free options!

The best part? They’re open until 2 am and any donut is just $1 during their late night hours (which change depending on the day of the week).

Antonios

Shrimp Salad #AntoniosSpecial

A photo posted by Antonio's Pizza (@antoniospizza) on Apr 4, 2014 at 8:30am PDT

A post-midnight Antonio’s trip is a staple UMass experience. Get ready for some long lines, cramped spaces and a lot of noise. Antonio’s is probably the most popular place in Amherst, but it’s well worth the chaos of the trip. This is some of the best pizza you’ll ever have, and it’s open until 1am.

And, in true Amherst style, if you call ahead they can have a vegan pizza ready for you when you get there!

Judie’s

Nourishing meal with Tay ❤️

A photo posted by elizabeth (@bean._) on May 19, 2016 at 11:49am PDT

If you’re in the mood for a nicer evening out with the floor-mates, Judie’s is perfect. But get there early, because there is always a wait to be seated! Be sure to try their famous popovers while you’re there, or try ordering the buffalo cauliflower – it isn’t on the menu but can usually be made if you ask your server, and they are to die for I’m telling you. They also have a huge selection of local beers on tap to choose from that are definitely worth a try.

Earthfoods Cafe

Post-leg day lunch is literally heaven ?? roasted root veggies, kale, chickpeas, and rice.

A photo posted by Carolyn Viggh (@carolyn.viggh.fit) on Feb 9, 2016 at 9:34am PST

While Earthfoods Cafe isn’t technically a part of UMass Dining, it is on campus and you can use dining dollars! It is a student-run organization and they have something new to try every day. And the best part? It’s all vegetarian and vegan! Plus, everyone who works here is super nice and they blast some pretty awesome music. Earthfoods can be found on the first floor of the Student Union, around the corner from the main lobby. Definitely stop by between classes one of these days .

Black Sheep

?F R I D A Y FOODIES?

A photo posted by @foodieswithbootys on Sep 25, 2015 at 12:52pm PDT

The Black Sheep is another local favorite. This local sandwich joint is known best for its music scene. They have open mic nights, jazz nights, and much more! Elizabeth Warren even went there to speak once. If you want to avoid the crowds, however, definitely pop in one afternoon for some of the most amazing food made with local ingredients. 

Late Night Bites

Let’s be honest, college is all about ordering junk food between the hours of midnight and 3am, so it’s best to know what your options are when you’re sitting around your dorm room and those pesky cravings take over. Some of your best bets are to hit up Domino’s, Wings over Amherst, Southwest Express, Bruno’s or Baby Berk (which is the only one of these that is not delivery).

Wingin it this Sunday #eastcoastfeastcoast ?:@lettucedine

A photo posted by ?The Garden of Eatin'? (@eastcoastfeastcoast) on Apr 19, 2015 at 5:01pm PDT

Don’t worry, the list doesn’t end there! And just a short drive over, in Northampton, there are loads more places to enjoy. It’s safe to say that if you really want to enjoy your time here at UMass, you need to embrace the Freshman 15, not fear it. Or maybe just spend some extra time at our Rec Center since it’s one of the best there is.

UMass Amherst