Lies you’ve probably been told about summer internships

I believed them so you don’t have to

There’s a precise timeline

Coming into junior year I was told “Try and have your summer locked in by Thanksgiving”, or “Plan interviews during spring break.” So, imagine my panic in April when my summer plans weren’t ‘locked in.’ Of course at that point I had applied to several internships. And, sure, I had had a few interviews. But, nothing was set in stone. My first interview for the internship I actually accepted was April 25th.

So, as you look around in the fall and see a few friends with finalized summer plans at some impressive company, don’t panic. Apply early and apply often, but realize there is no definitive cutoff for summer internships. Except maybe June. In June it’s probably time for plan B.

You have to go to a city

Concrete jungle where (some) dreams are made of

It’s a common misconception that cities are the best options for internships. It’s true that a lot of the opportunities are in cities, but there are options everywhere. I know plenty of people who had interesting, challenging, and rewarding internships here in their hometowns. Sure, there is a lot of appeal to go to New York, or Boston, or D.C., but these cities aren’t an option for everyone. That doesn’t mean internships are out of the question.

You should also be aware that Dunkin’ Donuts in New York is more expensive.

Career services is your best friend

Maybe more of a friendly acquaintance. Don’t get me wrong it’ll be extremely useful to go to career services. But take what they say with a grain of salt. Their advice is advice, not rules.

You’ll make no money

When figuring out summer plans it can come down to choosing between money or experience. But the two aren’t mutually exclusive. A lot of full time internships are paid either hourly or with stipends. Most of the unpaid internships they warn you about are part time, leaving possibilities for another paying job. This summer I had a part-time retail job that I was totally unqualified for.

People take advantage of interns

The daily life of an intern involves getting coffee, making copies, and getting called the wrong name. Or at least that’s what they want you to think. But in reality people tend to have a soft spot for interns. Bosses have been in your shoes before. They understand that you’re there to learn and most are willing to take the time to teach you. Your bosses and coworkers are professionals, they’ll act like it.

No internship? You’re doomed

Internships should be looked at as head starts, not the end all be all to the rest of your life. There are a lot of other ways to gain useful experience and skills that will help you get a job after school. Whether it’s a club, a job, or a class, you can develop skills that make you an eligible employee without having the “intern” title.

It’s like waiting a half hour to swim after you eat. Technically it’s good advice. But, if you ignore it, five minutes later nobody will really notice.

UMass Amherst