Things to keep in mind during fall enrollment

Power through

Fall enrollment is probably one of the most stressful times of the Spring semester. Everyone is worrying about what classes to take, what time their appointment is, and which of the 30,000 UMass students are ahead of or behind them.

Try to keep the following things in mind this enrollment period.

Source: https://www.umass.edu/oir/students/enrollment

There will always be someone worse off than you

It may feel like you have the absolute latest time to sign up for classes. Sure, you’re scared that there will be no classes left. But don’t worry, there will always be that person who either slept through their enrollment appointment or didn’t realize they had a hold on their account. So they will automatically be put behind you, and left to scramble to figure things out (where I’m sure you’l be prepared, waiting for the clock to tick to your time).

Nothing is permanent

You have plenty of time to change your classes around. If you don’t like a class you’re in but it was the only one left, or you wanted to have Fridays off, it is still possible! You can always check back on Spire for openings or you can talk to friends who are trying to switch out and take their spot.

If it is for your major, you’ll get into it

Advisors are VERY helpful when it comes to enrollment, whether you believe it or not. They may not be willing to switch your class to a pass/fail mid semester, but they will help you get into a class that is ‘full’ if it is necessary to your major and graduation requirements. Remember, they want you to graduate just as much as you do.

You are going to graduate eventually

Everything you are doing, you are working towards the bigger picture. It is important to keep that in mind while going through this stressful process. In the end, it will all be worth it and you will walk out of here with a degree.

Something familiar for all you chem kids out there.

One semester isn’t the end of the world

Four core classes and on gen ed? You can do it! You are enrolled in college to get the best education possible (not to mention make your money worth it). You will find plenty of time for fun and friends, it is all about time management.

UMass Amherst