If living areas at UMass were ‘Friends’ Characters

Someone is going to be mad that they are Ross

Screen Shot 2016-02-04 at 2.57.01 PM

If you’re like me, you probably cried at the season finale of Friends. I envy these pals in their twenties who binge on coffee and rock their turtlenecks on the Lower East Side.

This isn’t a reality show, but it might as well be in regards to the Rachel-and-Ross saga.

For fans of Friends (try saying that five times fast), it’s common to imagine which character you and your friends best identify as.  Maybe you’re also a clean freak like Monica or a fashionista like Rachel. But what living area of UMass personifies our favorite 90’s sitcom the best?

Here’s what we’ve come up with:

Phoebe Buffay: Central

Now come on, you could totally see Phoebe chilling with her guitar on the hill after a holistic medicine class that’s part of her BDIC masseuse degree and singing the newest rendition of Smelly Cat.

She rocks the hip grunge look, like many Central peeps, except her outfit wasn’t overpriced at Urban. . . Hopefully no one is mugging poor comic nerds (aka sad boy Ross) in Central, but at least Phoebe would sit in a circle and smoke a joint with you.

Ross Geller: Honors College

Dr. Ross Geller is arguably the smartest person on the show – when it comes to dinosaurs, at least. He’s not the best at dating, or marriage, or jokes, but we still love just as much as we love the Honors College.

He’s the responsible older brother who didn’t go out and party, but instead founded the ‘I-Hate-Rachel’ club with a friend to mask his secret crush on her.

Of course, not every Honors student is a wet blanket like Ross. But where else can you really picture him at UMass?

Joey Tribbiani: Southwest

When your friend brings Toblerone to the party

Joey Tribbiani is personable, extroverted and a bachelor. He thrives on socializing and always will delve into a conversation. Joey would be the cool RA who has Z room parties and offers Rubinoff to his residents when he’s on duty.

When he’s not mackin’ it with a Swestie, you can find him on the sandwich line at Berk for his second five-course meal of the day.

Chandler Bing: Orchard Hill

Chandler is so sarcastic that Rachel doesn’t even understand his jokes half of the time. He’s smart, like the Honors College, but outgoing enough that he may not want to live there. He wants to hang on the hill with his pals while creating the newest video game or playing World of Warcraft before hitting up late night at Worcester.

His dating life is a little strange (remember Janice?), but his group of friends at OHill are happy to hear his girl problems over a milkshake at Sweets & More. People may think he’s awkward, but he will probably be the richest one in the next decade after graduation.

Monica Geller: Northeast

Monica Geller is Ross’ hardworking little sister. She’s moved in on the first day of freshman year and has brought enough cleaning supplies to support everyone in Mary Lyon because of her fear of communal showers.

She’s a good friend and allows her sheltered childhood best friend, Rachel, to move in with her after Ms. Green has left the altar. She’s not the type to host a rager, but she will make you an amazing meal if you’re having a bad day. And she will be offended if you do not eat it.

Rachel Green: North

Ms. Rachel Green goes from an inexperienced, spoiled daddy’s girl to a businesswoman as we watch her on Friends. Although North is expensive, her family can afford it while she’s in school. What even is debt? Who’s Sallie Mae?

Monica is over all the time because she actually uses the kitchen and cooks for them while using the cleaner, individual bathrooms in return.

Spoiled yet lovable, Rachel is a great friend and will always have you over for wine and cheese nights. And will make you a (not so) great cup of coffee.

Gunther: Sylvan

Gunther is always there, even if we don’t hear about his own life too much. He’s on fairly good terms with the gang, aside from Ross because of his hopeless love for Rachel. He lives in Sylvan because he was screwed out of housing, and isn’t close enough with the group to ask to live with them.

He’s the person from freshman year you run into every now and then, but never know well enough to make plans with. Despite his quiet demeanor, Gunther means well and will always make you a mean cup of coffee.

UMass Amherst