We Are Proud to Present… UMass theater combats racism

The most riveting piece of theater this university has ever seen

As we rear up to the end of Black History Month (which, to quote Professor Judyie Al-Bilali, should be called ‘Black Mystery Month’, because what happened to the other 11 months of the year?) social media has been filled with discourse regarding Beyoncé’s new music video, Donald Trump’s acceleration in the Republican primaries, and the apparent ‘reverse racism’ that is taking place against white people.

All of which is fascinating to read about, yet each topic is being reduced down to a few thousand likes, a couple hundred shares, and the all-too-well-known statuses that are made with the objective of obtaining more popularity… and so the cycle continues.

What if I were to tell you that everything you’ve been seeing on Facebook, Twitter and Reddit is all being encompassed by a theatrical piece that is sweeping the attention of hundreds across our campus. A play that is being performed and directed by students with the support of UMass’ Department of Theater. A piece of cunning artistic brilliance and candor that surpasses, by far, what most people expect out of a playwright.

Play written by Jackie Sibblies Drury

“We Are Proud to Present…” is an intensely captivating play about six actors working together as an ensemble to present the history of a little known genocide committed by Germany against the Herero of Namibia at the turn of the 20th Century.

With an abundance of humor, unrest, and introspection, the actors take the audience on a journey through a global conflict that hits surprisingly close to home. The play brings up questions about race, representation, and perspective as it dissects the discrepancies between our accepted history and the reality of what actually took place.

Find out how the regulations of genocidal colonization relate to Jim Crow laws by watching this remarkable production.

Promotional Photo for the National Arts Festival in Grahamstown, South Africa

Performances of this production are taking place over the next two weekends:

Thursday, 2/18 – Saturday, 2/19 @ 7pm in FAC 204

Thursday, 2/25 – Saturday, 2/27 @ 7pm in FAC 204

Tickets are FREE! You can reserve your seats by following this link.

The red circle denotes the location of the performance.

We Are Proud to Present… also has been granted the wonderful opportunity of traveling halfway across the world to perform in the National Arts Festival in Grahamstown, South Africa. Travel costs are expensive, so please consider donating to this production’s Minutefund.

Whether you have $5 or $500, any amount can help carry this production into the international realm. Plus, how fucking cool would this be to hear about this show in the next couple of years? Help us gain speed.

Cast of We Are Proud to Present…

UMass Amherst