Everybody’s friendly campus rec center

All the pros and cons

The Campus Rec Center has its perks and its issues. I, for one, love the feeling after a good workout. I feel skinny for about an hour and then ruin that feeling with a burger from Frank at the Monday Night Burger Bar.

But regardless, our $24,000 in debt gets a nice workout facility to blow some steam.

Let’s begin with some issues.

Gymtimidation

Gymtimidation: the intimidation felt from the huge muscles and skinny b*tches that are encountered at the Rec Center.

I like to squat in the weight area, but that comes with a price. It’s impossible to make my way to the squat rack due to the large egos and Jersey Shore biceps. Once I finally make it to the squat rack, shock hits the guys’ faces because a female has encroached on their territory. After my weight session, I make my way over to the treadmills where many of the wanna-be Victoria’s Secret models gather.

Why do I not look like a Kardashian when I run?

Peak Hours

Going to the Rec Center during peak hours may lead to my demise. WHY ARE YOU ALL HERE WHEN I WANT TO GET MY WORKOUT ON? If I see a large line to get a lock I know it’s gonna be rough. *Note to self: buy my own lock on my next Target run*

Another struggle is trying to find an open locker in the locker room. Sometimes I’m even desperate enough that I think about asking a stranger if we can share. The line for the Brita is the slowest thing ever, like isn’t there a faster filtration system? There already aren’t enough ab machines, but during peak hours forget it…you are gonna be waiting forever. Getting a weight machine is like the Hunger Games, “may the odds be ever in your favor.”

Clearly not peak hour.

The Distance

Why must the honors college kids get everything? Like, yeah, you are smart but do you even lift bro? I live in Central and walking to the Rec Center is a workout in and of itself.

Like literally no one but the honors college kids are near, which is, like, not fair. I have even taken the bus to the Rec Center. Lazy or practical, you be the judge.

I think I can see the Rec Center in the distance!

Enough complaining, here are some of the perks

Smoothies

I love the smoothies. The Jamaican Jamer is my ish. Except I hate saying the names of the smoothies – I sound like an idiot. After a tough workout it’s a nice treat. Although I try not to get one after every workout because that stuff is expensive. You need to preserve the dining dollars. There is also a pretty good selection of healthy food available if you are feeling extra hungry.

The workout classes

The Rec Center does an awesome job of offering a variety of classes. My personal favorite is the Cardio Hip Hop class. You basically get to dance like you are getting down in the club without the creepy dudes trying to grab you.

Other classes range from Yoga to Acrobats to Barre and Zumba. It’s a good way to get a solid workout in, within an hour time frame. And to all the women out there, most of the classes are filled with other women so you don’t need to worry about the intimation of guys, except maybe if you take Broga.

Feeling great about yourself

After a tough workout I feel like a million bucks. The keyword here is ‘tough’. Ten minutes on the elliptical doesn’t count. Regardless, after my workout I feel like I can conquer the world, especially if I’m wearing one of my matching gym outfits.

Love yourself and love your body by working out at the Rec Center.

(Sorry to the friend I screenshotted)

UMass Amherst