Valentine’s day doesn’t have to suck if you’re single

A how-to for all the UMass lads and ladies who are solo

It’s that time of the year again! A time for candy, kisses, cards…and pent up frustration over the constant pressure of finding love. As college students we are perpetually changing, meeting new people, making new friends, finding ourselves, and every other cliche.

However, this is also a time in our lives when everyone around us seems to be searching for something to fill a void – to find someone who loves them in an effort to gain a level of comfort or security. This proves especially true around Valentine’s Day – regardless of the fact that the majority of us will be spending it alone.

If you are reading this and nodding your head in agreement I can happily say there’s no need to fear -advice on making the day great is coming your way!

There is absolutely no reason to dread being single on the fourteenth. In fact, there are limitless possibilities for anyone interested in making the day great, with or without a significant other.

Let’s be real people: your one true love should always be yourself, so let’s make the day great.

Here are five foolproof ways to do just that:

Treat yo’ self

verb:  \ˈtrēt\  \ˈyō\  \ˈself \  The act of doing what you want, when you want, for the sole reason that you deserve it

Treat yo’ self! Here is the first step to not only making Valentine’s Day great, but making any day as awesome as possible.

Penned by the infamous characters Tom Haverford and Donna Meagle on Parks and Recreation, this phrase has so much to offer us during this cold  February weekend.

Whether your favorite moments are spent in yoga, reading, running, painting, or anything else – do what makes you happy and don’t waste a minute choosing otherwise. Why? Because you are awesome and deserve it. So when Valentine’s day finally arrives and you thinking to yourself, “Hmm, should I really splurge and get those heart shaped pastries I have been craving so much?” The answer should – and must – always be “Treat yo’ self”.

Dorm it up

Sometimes, the most worthwhile nights in college are the simplest, and at this point in the semester you are probably looking for a reason to relax and unwind. Here’s your chance! Grab some friends, snacks, and a nice pair of pajamas and enjoy some much needed quality time.

Some night-in ideas may include watching a movie, having a spa night, inventing a new game, or just catching up with friends.

Simply gather around and prepare to spend some time with people you genuinely care about and who care about you…what else is Valentine’s Day really for anyway?

Take a Trip

For the adventurers at heart, maybe this Valentine’s day is a good time to get away from the hustle and bustle that is UMass and take a trip somewhere new. This Valentine’s Day Weekend is a great time to do just that. Get out there and explore – maybe the key to a great day is trying something new or going somewhere you have never been before.

That could entail taking a bus into Boston or New York and seeing what the big cities offer for amusement. However, those ventures can often prove costly. No need to fear! Many places in the surrounding Pioneer Valley are perfect destinations this weekend.

Smith botanical gardens

Take a trip into North Hampton and attend a concert. Go skiing, snowboarding, or tubing at a nearby resort. See what the five college community has to offer from the Smith Botanical Garden’s to the Mead Art Museum at Amherst College. Go for a nature walk or hike in the nearby towns. Or even take a stroll through Amherst Center.

Basically there are innumerable possibilities for a memorable weekend in the Pioneer Valley, and the first step to acquiring this ideal weekend is, quite literally, stepping outside and venturing to a nearby destination.

Throw a different kind of party

Of course Valentine’s decor and festivities might make some people feel sick to their stomachs, that is not to say that a nice gathering cannot be generated from such a theme. Need some inspiration? Try throwing an Anti-Valentine’s Day party, the cynical but none-the-less awesome take on the holiday.

Use this as an excuse to exert pent up frustration in a fun, light-hearted way amid the company of other single friends in your life. Another option includes throwing the ever-popular Galentine’s day party (Or Palentine’s Day for any guys reading) in which memories are bound to be made amid a setting of your closest girl friends!

Let’s take this time to consider the wise words of Leslie Knope: “February 14th, Valentine’s Day, is about romance, but February 13th, Galentine’s Day, is about celebrating lady friends. It’s wonderful and it should be a national holiday.”

Get yourself out there

So maybe you aren’t inclined to spend a night in, travel, or host a party. That leaves you with one other option: get yourself out there. There are bound to be a plethora of festivities on and off campus to attend and plenty of people to meet. If you are single and ready to mingle, then mingle away.

But if you are just up for a good time, think about gathering a group of people who make you happy and have a night out somewhere nearby. The key is to simply be comfortable with yourself and have some fun just being you. So, be present in the moment wherever you end up on Valentine’s Day, and when you let loose and be yourself, the night is sure to be one to remember.

Needless to say, Valentine’s Day is not one to get worked up over, and should not, I repeat, not be avoided. It is a day dedicated to love, so there is no better time to start surrounding yourself with positivity and, of course, loving who you are.

All the best this holiday, and just enjoy being you!

UMass Amherst