Just because I’m at a party school doesn’t mean I’m not smart

What were you saying about UMass being ‘easy’?

You don’t have to go to a private school to be the best. Sure UMass knows how to throw down. We’re not trying to deny that. We don’t want to deny that. Since when is knowing how to have fun lame?

I can tell you from four years of experience, there is absolutely nothing lame about being at a party school. When my friends from high school are trying to visit one another at college I am always the first one they turn to. Tell me what’s lame about that.

But just because I can party doesn’t mean I’m not smart and driven as all hell. And that’s where things can get annoying when you attend UMass.

Most of my conversations go a little something like this:

Person: Wow, I am loving my ability to be able to talk to you openly about such important and deep things. You really know a lot about [insert subject here]. Where do you go to school anyway?

Me: UMass Amherst

Person: Oh. Cute. I heard they party a lot there. Can you like shot gun a beer or something? Have you ever actually attended a class? Can you still read? Am I talking too quickly for you?

So this might be a good time for me to tell you all that there is more to UMass students than their ability to throw amazing (and I mean AMAZING) parties. Yeah that’s right. We’re fun and we’re smart. Now isn’t that the most deadly combination? It’s called work hard play hard people. You can spend a Friday and a Saturday night out while still averaging 20 hours in the library over the weekend. Take it from someone who knows.

The average GPA of last year’s incoming freshmen was a 3.83 on a 4.0 scale. And as for the honors college, the average was a 4.28 thanks to AP courses. Now what was that you were saying about UMass being a “fun” school? Or was is an “easy” school you said?

Balance is important. You need to be able to talk with people in order to make meaningful connections. Nobody is going to hire you if you’re a bummer in your interview.

So next time someone tells you they attend a state school, try asking them how they like it. Or what classes they are taking. Or what plans they have for their future. Or how their honors thesis is going. Because not only are UMass students actively involved in clubs, greek life, sports, the local music scene, etc., but we are all a step ahead of you.

We know that in order to do well in life, a stereotypically  ‘impressive’ undergraduate college name on your resume simply isn’t going to make the cut. In fact, it will probably do nothing more than leave you in crippling debt while we climb the rungs to the top. So smile and wave boys, smile aaaaaaand wave.

UMass Amherst