Class of 2016: Cynical seniors and the countdown to the end

When you use the ‘I’m a senior’ excuse for everything

There are two types of seniors in college: those who are excited to leave, and others who are terrified to go. Regardless, most seniors are tired of hearing the “what are your plans?” questions at every family occasion because we’re all just trying to figure it out.

We’d rather just spend time with our friends and enjoy the few months we have here before looking at the horrific countdown below:

THREE MONTHS AWAY?

Yes, there is already a countdown to commencement available online for us to see. It feels like yesterday that I was accepted to UMass, moved into Van Meter like a scared puppy and started fresh with no friends from high school. Has it really been almost four years since then?

Three-and-a-half years have gone by – living with best friends, studying in Du Bois until delirium strikes, and wreaking of library coffee and chicken bacon ranch Antonio’s slices. Oh? That’s just me?

We’ve all used the “I’m a senior” excuse to make ourselves feel better about not finishing an assignment on time, going to the UPub after a stressful day, or skipping class because 8am’s are just not worth it anymore.

The majority of us are 21 and have made our way through Stackers, Monkey Bar and High Horse enough times to recognize our favorite bartender. (Bearded-mustache-man-bun at High Horse, I’m lookin’ at you.)

Very influential and ingenious High Horse graffiti

We’re all looking into jobs or grad school – which means cleaning up that resume, updating that LinkedIn and cleansing your Facebook of those rogue high school acquaintances  who are suddenly becoming engaged or pregnant…

Meanwhile, you’re watching it all on the computer and sipping some wine just hoping you’ll be employed in the next six months.

Sure, it’s great when someone you met that one time at a party after they Venmo’d you money for McDonald’s is accepted to law school or working at a huge marketing firm. But unless this is your close friend, no one really cares.

At this point, most of us know the majority of people in our classes because of the requirements needed in our major(s). Whether this is your best study pal or annoyance who doesn’t shut up, we already know the dynamic.

When you give some major side-eye to that person in class

Every weekend is a new adventure – and by “new” and “adventure” I really just mean getting drinks with your pals and eating Taco Bell at 2am. Partying this frequently is something to celebrate while you’re a senior – but if it’s as often when you venture into the real world, people might actually think you have a drinking problem.

And if they don’t, you know they’re real friends.

At the end of the day, I couldn’t be more thankful to have attended UMass Amherst – this school is the largest public research university in New England and is becoming more and more selective as the years go by. I’ve fallen in love with what’s known as one of the best college towns in the country with some of the best food that any university offers.

Thank you, UMass, for giving me the option of having Indian food or sushi before class, and the ability to drink a three-dollar pint of PBR (ugh) before I go home. You are helping me get through the last semester of my undergraduate career – and as cynical as I am, I couldn’t be more grateful. #Blessed

UMass Amherst