How to look fierce on a budget

So we’re broke… but we can still afford good makeup

New year, new you? Well, with these makeup hacks you will certainly take campus by storm with your new look. Inspired by the latest Hollywood crazes, this is a compiled list of makeup trends that can translate to the UMass campus.

Whether you’re tackling your 8am or heading out for a night on the town, your makeup will be flawless with these goodies.

On a budget? Aren’t we all? After years of personal research, this also acts as the perfect guide for buying those makeup necessities at a reasonable price. These pharmacy brands are equivalent to the high-end products we so often crave.

Strip the name off the label and they essentially have the same efficiency. Here’s to the new year, and here’s to those contoured cheeks!

Foundation (Primer):

Tarte: BB Tinted Treated Primer (Sephora, $36)

Pharmacy Equivalent – Maybelline: Dream Pure BB (CVS, $7)

For your base coat, these picks are perfect. Not only do they provide maximum coverage, they also are super healthy for your skin. These two completely avoid breakouts and combined with a moisturizer, your skin will be feeling nice and smooth.

To choose the right color for you, you’ll want a shade to match the tone of the skin on your wrist.

Eyeliner

Maybelline: Master Precise Ink Pen Eyeliner ($8, Ulta)

There is no better way to make a statement than a brave and slick cat-eye. Get excited because there is no other liquid eyeliner that you need beyond this pharmacy brand.

This Master Precise’s felt tip lives up to its name and makes an even and defined look on both eyelids highly attainable. Beyond all must-haves, this pharmacy brand is a necessity for your new look.

Eyeshadow Primer

Urban Decay: Eyeshadow Primer Potion ($12, Sephora)

Not necessarily a “must-have,” but you will be so pleased with this purchase. Adding an eyeshadow primer to your makeup routine can make all the difference in your makeup’s endurance.

Urban Decay’s primer is known for its long-lasting effects and brilliance in bringing out your eyeshadows color against the tone of your skin. There’s no pharmacy brand that can come close to this product, but it’s definitely worth the splurge.

Eyeshadow

Urban Decay: NAKED Eyeshadow Palette ($54, Sephora)

Pharmacy Equivalent – Almay: Intense i-Color (CVS, $7)

These two brands are the A-Team of shades. Everyone has a different preference in shades, which is completely understandable, which is why these two brands are ideal for all. The NAKED palettes come in four variations and three additional condensed versions. While Almay has created the perfect trio for each and every eye color.

Eyelashes

Too Faced: Better Than Sex Mascara (Sephora, $23)

Pharmacy Equivalent – CoverGirl LashBlast Volume Mascara ($9, Ulta)

Even on a clean face day, there’s nothing wrong with touching up your lashes with a smidge of mascara.

Both of these given brands will open your eyes and draw everyone’s attention. Although Too Faced claims this mascara is “better than sex,” Covergirl’s gives it a competition for its longevity and definition.

Lips

Lime Crime: Velvetine Matte Lipstick (Limecrime.com, $20)

Pharmacy Equivalent – NYX Matte Lipstick ($6, CVS)

Nothing says sophisticated like a bold and brave lip. While there are various brands that are sufficient to keep your lips looking fab and full, these are definitely the top contenders.

Lime Crime is a brand solely sold online and their matte liquid lipstick is a secret weapon in the makeup world. Even after a sip from your Angry Orchard and a slice of pizza, expect hours of lasting color, smudge free. (Cashmere is my fave and look at the pretty box it came in!)

Though it is difficult to surpass the excellence of Lime Crime, NYX makes an affordable matte with a range in colors.

Eyebrow

Anastasia Beverly Hills: Perfect Brow Pencil ($23, Sephora)

Pharmacy Equivalent -Maybelline Define-a-Brow ($6, Walmart)

It seems like the biggest trend in Hollywood is BIG and BOLD eyebrows. Some of us may be recovering from the over-plucking trend of the 2000s while others may naturally lack the hair growth required to keep up with Cara Delevingne and Lucy Hale.

But do not fret, because these eyebrow enhancers are god-sends and create the illusion of a perfect, natural looking arch for your brow.

UMass Amherst