How to beat Finals Week

…before it beats you

The days are counting down until we are all home with our families for the rest of the winter. But you can’t let your mind wander yet.  We still have…

*Dun, dun, dun,*

Finals.

By now you have hopefully tried getting yourself in the study mood, but in reality we are all just tis-ing the season to be jolly. With Chanukah and Christmas around the corner, who can contain their excitement?

Well listen up. It’s going to be hard, but you’re going to have to. Trust me, your GPA will thank you for studying.

Here are some tips to help you make it through the next week:

START studying

How will you ever get the work done if you don’t even crack open the book? And if you continue waiting, the work will simply begin piling up.

The key is to just think of how stress free you will feel once you finish. Plus, you will be prepared to ace that test! C’mon just do it! It’s the final thing standing between you and your fuzzy buddy back home.

WHAT ARE THOOOOOSE

Take breaks

Everyone needs a little TLC. Hit the gym with your bros, or grab some coffee with your girlfriends. You can’t study 24/7. You will not make it to Friday. Work hard, play hard.

Hasn’t that always been UMass’ motto?

Be careful though! Something like Netflix can quickly become your worst enemy. Eventually you will need to pause the second to last episode of the season to finish that English essay.

Sleep

You need to sleep. Without sleep you will go crazy. It’s scientifically proven. After about 72 hours you start hallucinating. I don’t think that Red Bull is a great alternative to that either. You don’t want to start seeing Isaac Newton during your Physics test.

Take it from an expert. Lay off the caffeine

Your brain learns things while you sleep. That Constitutional Law essay seems impossible to write at 3am, because it is impossible. When you can’t blink because your eyes are dry, hit the hay. Your essay will be available for you tomorrow.  And you will probably be happy you slept.

*Dreams of failing exam*

Go to your teacher’s office hours

Who better to answer your questions than the person grading your test? NOBODY! If your teacher offers office hours, take full advantage of them! Who knows what possible hints they will drop about your final. Taking the time to go in and meet with them will give you an advantage over your class. It never hurts to build a relationship with your professor either!

Maybe you’ll go back to them for help in the future

Stay positive!

Yes, finals are hard, but you are not “going to die”. And yes, I know you have calculated your current grade (probably factoring in a zero for your final to see if you can skip it, and still pass).

You put in a lot of work this semester and you know the material. Think of how amazing you will feel when you get your grade back and all your hard work shows.

UMass Amherst