Holiday survival guide: Singles edition

Single and lonely this holiday season? Fight the holiday blues with these easy tips

The holidays can be a romantic time of year when people are out with their significant others – going to the tree lighting, cuddling, watching Christmas movies, and listening to the many songs written about having that special someone on Christmas day.

Meanwhile, there are the rest of us who will be spending this holiday season single, alone and eating our feelings. But don’t be down in the dumps – there are plenty of ways to fight the holiday blues!

Call up Grandma

One way to not feel so alone this holiday season is to surround yourself with people who love and care about you. Catch up with friends and family while you’re home, and when they ask you the dreaded question of, “do you have anyone special this holiday season?” just shoot them a smile and respond with a sarcastic: “Just you.”

Don’t sit home with your dog

Keep yourself busy with different events. Staying merry and being social is a great way to keep busy and who knows? You might even meet someone special and instead of reading this, you’ll be looking up the next Christmas movie to watch during your Netflix and chill date.

The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear

Let the holidays themselves bring excitement into your life. Whether you are at home, at college, or at your friend’s place, pull out the decorations, put up all the lights and get that Christmas music blasting. Most importantly belt out every note at the top of your lungs to Feliz Navidad as if it’s Adele’s Hello.

You’re worth it

Have that extra cookie, that slice of pie or even take a bite of the ginger bread house you worked so hard on.  It doesn’t hurt to indulge every once in while – not that you don’t do that enough at Berk.

As JBiebs puts it, love yourself…

One key to happiness is to love yourself, so go ahead pamper yourself a bit.  Pick yourself something nice for Christmas. I don’t know about you, but I always like the gifts I get myself the most anyway.

Spice things up

Not only is Christmas around the corner, so is New Year’s Eve. So, get a jump start on your plans.  Try something different! Get out of town!  You have plenty of time over the holiday break, don’t sit home watching the reruns of every Friends Christmas episode there is, get out of the house and have a little fun.

UMass Amherst