Tips for freshmen for their first UMass winter

Winter at UMass can be brutal, you freshmen will need all the help you can get

Even if you’re from Massachusetts, you probably have never had to drag yourself all the way across campus in the freezing cold.

Here are some tips to make your first Amherst winter as comfortable as possible.

Buy snow boots

You’ll need them, I promise. By snow boots, I don’t mean Uggs. It is in your best interest to invest in some heavy duty, warm and fuzzy boots to keep your feet warm while you track through the not-so-well-plowed paths to class.

A fashionable winter jacket

Look good, feel good, do-good-days do still exist. And that’s why you need a cute jacket.

On your walk to class (or bus ride I mean) you need a cute jacket to compliment your nice outfit.

Learn the bus route

It gets cold. And by cold, I mean COLD. The bus route will save your life, take my word. You should remember it, engrave it in to your memory, and never have to suffer walking through a blizzard to class.

One last tip regarding the bus – never, and I mean NEVER, wait for the bus time that is right before your class. Buses come late, and buses also come super packed. Never wait for the last one if you want a guaranteed ride to class.

Get ready to always have your windows open

CAUTION: the heaters in your dorm room never take a break. Therefore, your room is going to be sweltering hot at all times of day unless you open the windows.

Also, it may be worth a shot to tell your RA if your room is too hot in effort to turn it down and save some maintenance costs.

Stock up on Easy Mac

Or save up your dining dollars. When the wind is blowing strong and the snow is two feet high, the last thing you’re going to want to do is go to the dining hall. Having Easy Mac on standby will make any snow day easier.

As for dining dollars, these will come in clutch when its late at night and once again the snow is two feet high. You can call up South West Express, order some wings, pizza and fries and have them delivered directly to your door, all for dining dollars.

Avoid the library at all costs

The wind tunnels at the library will eat you alive. I’m not kidding. Think of the wind speed outside the library on a normal day, now picture it with snow.

That’s right – frostbite. If the wind outside the library hasn’t gotten the best of you yet, it sure will this winter if you don’t steer clear.

Last but not least, get out and have fun

You don’t live in New England for nothing. Get outside and take advantage of the beautiful snow and scenery around you.

There are mountains nearby to go skiing or snowboarding, or the hills in Central or Orchard hill are prime time for sledding.

UMass Amherst