Every class you skip costs $57

Sorry dad

College is the thousands of dollars investment we make year after year to walk out of here with a degree.

Well, the truth is out: college is expensive. What’s the only truth that’s harder to hear? The amount of money you waste when you skip class.

Here at UMass Amherst, tuition is $7085 for instate students. Divide that by 5, say you’re taking 5, 3-credit courses, and you’re looking at $1417 per class. Say on average, a class meets 25 times a semester, it costs you approximately  $57 a class.

That’s a surprise, huh? I never would have thought that I was wasting $57 every time I didn’t go to class.

Now let’s put skipping a three credit class into perspective. Where else could you be spending this money – instead of wasting it by choosing to sleep in?

Antonio’s

For $57, you can get as many as 15 slices of pizza (averaging at $3-4 per slice). That is, AMAZING pizza.

Glazed

Did someone say doughnuts? Only the best! Cutting class is costing you four dozen doughnuts – with candy toppings and fillings.

Panda East

Home of the infamous scorpion bowl. Go to class and then spend your $15 on a scorpion bowl ($12 with tax + tip) guilt free. Heck, buy them for the whole table at $57 a skipped class.

Wings Over Amherst

Football Sunday? Pre-gaming on a Friday? Treat yourself to five orders of 15 piece wings for what it costs you to skip class.

Domino’s

You’re not a real college student if you and your friends haven’t ordered pizza and Cinna Stix. You can get three large pizzas three orders of Cinna Stix, AND a bottle of soda delivered to you for approximately $57.

Insomnia Cookies

Maybe this is the reason you’re skipping class in the morning, because you were up late and couldn’t sleep so you ordered warm cookies. At $15 a dozen, you’re better off with just going to class.

Yes, all of this sounds incredibly delicious. But c’mon, you’re at college for a reason. Go to class, get an education, and make use out of the small fortune you’re paying to get that education. Then once you’ve done that, treat yourself to a couple of the above.

UMass Amherst