How to avoid UGA graduation traffic and where to park

We asked the officials

The University of Georgia’s graduation ceremony in Sanford Stadium draws a large crowd to Athens every year. This year, graduation falls on May 13th and officials are expecting 80,000-100,000 people will be in Athens.

In order to ensure all of the soon-to-be graduates and their family members are in their seats on time for the ceremony, Athens Clarke County Police, University of Georgia Parking Services, and Transportation and Public Works have banded together to make sure guests don’t have trouble traveling or parking.

David Clark surveys the best routes for visitors to take during the day of the graduation ceremony.

The Director of Transportation and Public Works for Athens Clarke County, David Clark, has experienced 18 previous graduations ceremonies.

“We have a pretty decent game plan in place that we have developed over time with UGA Police and Athens Clarke County police,” he said. “We wouldn’t be able to do this if we weren’t communicating with each other.”

The police use a predetermined timing plan for the traffic lights to favor roads that are going to be used more often.

Clark suggests drivers should “stay off of the main streets that are around the stadium…and it’s best to park in lots that have multiples entrances.”

Laura Pratt is confident that she knows the best place to park for the ceremony on May 13th is at the East Campus Deck.

Laura Pratt, Parking Events Coordinator at The University of Georgia Parking Services has held her position for the last seven graduation ceremonies. She stresses patience is key to get to graduation on time. Pratt believes that most guests will try to go to the Hull Street parking deck because it is closer to Sanford Stadium where the ceremony is being held, but it’s not the best option. The East Campus parking deck will be easier to get out of after the ceremony is over and will end up saving graduates time in the long run due to a new shuttle system.

All lots will be open on Friday May 13th, but they will be first come, first serve.

This year, Parking Services is trying to make it easier for people with mobility issues to get to the ceremony. She said: “In an effort to better serve our guests coming in with disabilities, we are reserving spaces in the North Deck and the East Deck just for disabled guests. And then we’ve set up a shuttle throughout campus that is ADA accessible…that will drop them off at will call.”

Megan McKinley is not afraid to use her crutches to cross the stage on graduation, but wants to make sure she will get there on time.

This is the first time this initiative will take place, but soon-to-be graduate Megan McKinley is thankful because she is on crutches. She has 16 people coming in town for graduation and she is trying to plan where she would park. McKinley is planning on going to the hospital to ask for a temporary handicap pass before graduation.

“So many people are there and there is no easy flow of traffic. Even when you’re walking and not on crutches it’s hard because there are so many people in the streets and it’s just a nightmare.”

After learning about the new initiative, McKinley was thankful and changed her mind, saying: “This is easier for me and my family anyways…and we don’t have to pay a ridiculous surge charge for Uber.”

Laura Pratt and David Clark are seasoned professionals in understanding how to manage the influx of people coming to Athens. They expect there to be 80,000-100,000 people in town during graduation weekend. Fortunately there are no other events in Athens on Friday that would draw a big crowd. Family members coming to Athens will arrive at different times, but Clark and Pratt both say that drivers should plan on an additional 30 minutes of drive time to get to their destination due to traffic.

University of Georgia