Dawgs rally in opposition to Campus Carry Bill

They chanted: ‘Guns are not a teaching tool – they do not belong in school’

Over 100 UGA students, faculty members and Athens community members marched from Tate Plaza to The Arch on Wednesday evening in protest of the passage of House Bill 859, better known as the Campus Carry Bill.

House Bill 859 authorizes students with carry licenses to bring weapons on campus property. With the potential influx of weapons on campus, students are concerned for their safety.

Senior Emma Krass, one of the event organizers, said: “I’m hoping that [the rally] will send a message to Governor Deal that UGA students, who are the ones that this law effects, alongside university students across Georgia, don’t want this legislation. It should be our opinions that matter because we are the ones who are affected by it.”

The crowd, led by Emma, marched through campus chanting, “Guns are not a teaching tool – they do not belong in school,” as well as “Gun free UGA,” and “The students united will never be defeated.” Equipped with signs and shirts saying KEEP THE G GUN FREE, their message was clear.

This opinion echoes an email from UGA President Jere Morehead sent to students at the beginning of this month.

Morehead said: “The Board of Regents, our 29 presidents, our campus police chiefs and many parents support the current firearm law for our campuses…the bottom line – we oppose this legislation.”

Johnelle Simpson, President of the UGA Student Government Association, spoke at the event. He said SGA has taken a stand with President Morehead.

“We’re all about campus safety and making sure students feel a sense of security on college campuses,” Simpson said.

SGA is concerned about the effect Bill 859 will have on UGA’s campus.

“From our experts and from what I’ve heard, [Bill 859] doesn’t appear to have a positive impact. It’s one of those things we just have to wait and see, but I’d hate to wait and see. I’d rather stick with the current law.”

Following the rally, The Student Government Association released a letter to the UGA community opposing House Bill 859.

Governor Nathan Deal has yet to respond publicly to the Campus Carry Rally or President Morehead’s letter.

University of Georgia