Peace up, A-Town down: Why Atlanta is the best city in the world

Welcome to the Hollywood of the South

OK, so maybe I’m a bit biased. I was born and raised in Atlanta, and although I’ve been fortunate enough to travel far and wide since then, I always find myself the happiest when I’m home.

Those who aren’t familiar with Atlanta may view it as an outdated place – backwards, maybe even redneck. Yes, it was the city famously burnt to the ground by General Sherman during the Civil War, but we’ve risen from the ashes and come a long way since then.

Now home to the largest airport in the world, Atlanta has blossomed into an international hub of creativity, diversity and culture. Hopefully I can shed some light on the real Atlanta, as it has so much to offer.

We freaking love art

Popular street art by R.Land spotted in the Old Fourth Ward neighborhood

Tagging and the art of graffiti has grown increasingly popular in Atlanta, so much so that the state has started commissioning artists to construct murals to rejuvenate spots in the city, like the Decatur MARTA Overpass.

Neighborhoods in Atlanta like Old Fourth Ward, Kirkwood and Little 5 Points are especially famous for this mural art. Atlanta also has a lot of opportunities for artists to get the word out about their craft, due to the huge number of Art Walks and Festivals annually, which brings me to my next point.

We get festive

At VA Highlands Summerfest in 2015

The city puts on countless festivals each year dedicated to music, art, food, beer and wine. Every summer, thousands of people attend Virginia Highlands Summerfest, an open market for all kinds of crafts, art, local food, live music and attractions.

Other big events are the Dogwood Festival, Candler Park Festival, Inman Park Festival, Decatur Arts Festival…the list goes on and on. Some of the fondest memories of my childhood are from these festivals – sticky as hell from a combination of sweat and ice cream, walking through the most beautiful parks in the city surrounded by thousands of my fellow “ATLiens.” And speaking of OutKast…

We take music seriously

Outkast performing one of three sold out shows at Centennial Olympic Park in September 2014

Not only does the city host amazing craft and food events, but Atlanta is also home to some incredible music festivals as well. Given its vibrant music scene among many genres and spacious park venues, it’s never difficult to find major artists to headline or ample space for shows. Sweetwater 420 Fest, presented by local brewery Sweetwater), Music Midtown, and Shaky Knees all draw audiences by the tens of thousands each year.

Not to mention, there are countless artists who call Atlanta home and always make sure to stop by on tours. Atlanta has a special establishment in the hip-hop/rap community, given its strong foundations with the genre. OutKast got their start in Atlanta, along with musical heavyweight veterans like T.I., Usher, Ludacris, Lil Jon and Gucci Mane.

Newer Atlanta artists who have begun to permeate the mainstream include 2 Chainz, Future, Migos, Rich Homie Quan, ILoveMakonnen and Young Thug. These artists have a uniquely southern sound that sets them apart from the rest and is widely renowned among Atlanta hip-hop lovers.

We’re the Hollywood of the South

Photo credit: Chris Mihal

Over the last few years, Georgia and the city of Atlanta have essentially dominated the film industry, earning us our title as the “Hollywood of the South.” You may recognize some of these TV shows and films that also call Georgia home: Forrest Gump, The Last Song, Vampire Diaries, Walking Dead, Zombieland, Family Feud, Sweet Home Alabama (ironically) and obviously The Real Housewives of Atlanta.

We’ve got history

Downtown Atlanta

The Civil Rights Movement in the 1960s was a time of great revolution and inspiration in our country. The city of Atlanta takes great pride in having served as the home base of the most major figure of this time, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

His childhood home is located on Auburn Avenue, one of the most historic streets in the city, and is now a national park and museum that can be visited on a guided or individual tour. Dr. King’s wife, Coretta, established the Martin Luther King Center for Social Change (The King Center for short) where one can visit the final resting place of Dr. King and learn about his ideology and those of other champions for nonviolent resistance.

So, there you have it. Atlanta has it all. If this hasn’t convinced you it’s the greatest city on earth, I don’t know what will.

But even if it hasn’t, we’ll still embrace you with open arms and that classic southern charm, treat you to some sweet tea and pecan pie and send you on your way.

University of Georgia