GDR raids Athens bars last night searching for underage drinkers

MIPs were issued at multiple bars

Last night, downtown Athens saw something it hasn’t seen in years as Georgia Department of Revenue officers raided bars looking for underage drinkers and fake IDs.

Around 10.45pm, officers with flashlights entered General Beauregard’s and Cloud checking IDs of all patrons holding drinks.

Underage guests, along with those who were caught with fake IDs, were given MIP (Minor in Possession) citations and asked to leave.

A UGA freshman said: “I’ve never seen downtown like it was last night. The crowds were very different than normal, and people were running around and standing in large groups.

“Cop cars were driving up and down the roads really slowly. I generally felt very uneasy and uncomfortable, so I went home.”

A few students tried their luck staying out. One student at Flanagan’s, a popular bar, said he and some friends hid from the officers after the first raid.

“Every five minutes or so someone came down yelling that the cops were coming again, and we hid in the back till we had an all-clear, although the cops did not come back into Flan’s till much later.”

Over time, the downtown area cleared out as the news spread on social media.

Multiple MIPS were issued in Flanagan’s and Cabin Room, and more were issued across other raided bars.

Although many thought the increased police presence was due to the threat of a pro-rape group meet-up at the Arch called “Return of Kings,” GDR officers said they were only there to check the bars.

A Bourbon Street doorman said the GDR randomly checks Georgia counties throughout the year.

More to follow.

University of Georgia national-us