UD President Assanis addresses Trump’s executive order on immigration

‘All are welcome here’

In light of the Executive Order signed by President Trump, temporarily halting immigration from seven Muslim-majority countries, save for those who are natural born or naturalized citizens, the Office of the President and Provost sent a message to the UD community addressing concerns the ban may raise and reassuring students and faculty of the university’s commitment to a diverse and inclusive academic environment.

According to the email sent out on Tuesday, January 30th, UD’s Office for International Students and Scholars has reached out to members of the university who will be affected by the Order and will be working with them as the situation continues, offering assistance and support as needed. While a change to the ban was declared today to exclude legal permanent residents (LPRs) and Green Card Holders, the university discourages both the latter group and those holding non-immigrant visas (who are still subject to the ban) from leaving the country until further notice.

The message also recognizes the integral role international students play at the University of Delaware, and despite the concerns that changes the immigration policy may have raised, the administration is still committed to ensuring that all members of the community are able to participate, study, and work with the university.

“The University of Delaware is a global academic community dedicated to educational and societal advancement. As an engaged learning community, we will only succeed and thrive in a culture that is united by values and distinguished by the interconnected relationship of opportunity, leadership, respect and diversity. To this point, the talent, insight, and perspectives of our international students, faculty, researchers, and staff remain essential ingredients of our community to which we are wholly committed. We welcome the most qualified and talented individuals from around the world to study, teach, and carry out research and scholarship at the University of Delaware.”

The executive order was signed by President Trump on Friday, January 27th, and was meant to temporarily restrict immigration from seven countries identified as “countries of concern” by the previous administration which includes Iraq, Syria, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen for 90 days and suspends all refugee admissions for 120 days. While the order was meant to exclude LPRs and Green Card Holders, as mentioned earlier, unclear language in the order itself and the short time in which the order had to be implemented may have resulted in some confusion, leading to the detaining of legal residents, those who hold dual citizenship, and Green Card Holders. Trump’s Chief of Staff, Reince Priebus, later clarified that the latter group would not be included.

Since its implementation, several people affected by the order have been detained at airports and denied access to the United States. Across the country at several major airports, protests have erupted condemning the order and demanding that refugees and others be let in. Among these crowds are the family members of those currently being detained.

Some federal courts have blocked parts of the Executive Order, and in many states, detainees have been released from airports to cheers from protesters.

According to the administration, more countries, such as Saudi Arabia and Egypt, may be included going forward.

University of Delaware Hide Images