Everything we’re thankful for at UD

Why it is so great to be a Blue Hen?

With Thanksgiving here and the holiday season quickly approaching, it’s a great time of the year to reflect back on all that we have – especially here at UD!

Way back when, I picked to go to the University of Delaware because I honestly liked everything about the school, and thought it was a great balance of all the things I enjoy; from great academics to so many clubs and opportunities, I couldn’t pass it up. Looking back, I’m incredibly happy with my college choice.

There are so many paths to take

UD has over 140 undergraduate majors and 115 graduate programs. Plus, there is something for everyone with the various academic services available (such as the writing center!). Even if you have to change your major (confession, I did during my freshman year and so did many other people), I guarantee that you will find another program that fits what you wish to study.

Did you know that UD started study abroad in 1923, and over a third of the student body studies abroad every year? Just something else to enhance your college education.

Who could ask for better friends?

I’ve met so many wonderful people in my time at UD – whether they were from my floor, my sorority, an organization, or even friends of friends. They are definitely part of the reason of why my college experience has been great. Whenever I go home for break or the semester ends, I truly miss my Blue Hen pals at my home away from home.

People do come and go, and you’re always meeting new people from semester to semester, but you definitely can find your niche.

The opportunities through Career Services are endless

The Career Services center is the most helpful resource to get internship and career advice from. Not only is there a useful professional portal called ‘Handshake’ with opportunities available for every major, but there are also workshops to help you master an interview and build your resume.

Think of all the organizations you can join

UD has several hundred RSO’s (registered student organizations) to join, Greek Life, Special Interest Greek Life, to honor societies. Myself and a few other people that I know even started an academic organization to get more involved with our major.

UDaB (University of Delaware Alternative Breaks) has been one of my favorite parts of college

There are tons of events happening around campus

There’s always something going on. Whether it is a puppies de-stress event, the UDress Fashion Show, something for the biggest student run philanthropy UDance, or a concert put on by SCPAB (Student Central Program Advisory Board), I’m sure you can find something fun. When you’re a freshman or sophomore and live on campus, there’s also resident hall events too.

During the Rave Hour of UDance

The campus is just gorgeous 

I’m sure that everyone likes the gorgeous brick buildings, lush green grass (The Green!), and good looking student body. A stroll passing the fountain, Mentor’s Circle, the cheery blossoms in the spring, or the famous kissing arches is always a nice part of your day too.

Shout out to Newark, Main Street, and your typical college town

Main Street is one of the most convenient parts of going to UD. With restaurants, nightlife, and a food store all in walking distance, what more could you ask for?

The location is prime 

I can’t pass up the central location of UD. It’s awesome being in a college town and close to Philadelphia, New York City, Washington D.C., the famous Delaware beaches, the Christiana mall, White Clay Creek, Longwood Gardens, and the Newark Reservoir too!

A lovely fall visit to Longwood Gardens

I am genuinely proud to be here 

Blue Hen pride is completely relevant here. Remember when Joe Biden visited for election day? I don’t think UD loves it’s alumni more than we do. Once a Blue Hen, always a Blue Hen.

University of Delaware